Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default Contest submission: poetry/fiction prize & book award from Able Muse

I'm pleased to announce that Able Muse Press, in addition to accepting regular submissions for the first print edition of Able Muse (the inaugural issue forthcoming, winter, 2010), is now accepting submissions for the following poetry/fiction/book contests:

Able Muse Write Prize
(for Poetry & Fiction)

$500 prize for the best poem, and $500 prize for the best short story (flash fiction), plus publication in Able Muse (the print edition).
Finalists in each category will also be considered for publication.

Entry deadline: February 15, 2011

Anonymous judging by the final judges:

Rachel Hadas (poetry)
Alan Cheuse (fiction)

Details at Able Muse Press

Able Muse Book Award
(for Poetry)

$1000 prize plus publication of the winning manuscript by Able Muse Press.

Finalists will also be considered for publication.
Entry deadline: March 31, 2011

Anonymous judging by the final judge:

Andrew Hudgins

Details at Able Muse Press
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:01 AM

I'm wondering: are translations eligible?
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Hi Kevin,

No, not for these contests. Maybe, that could be something to look into in the future.

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Questions

Alex, can you describe the screening process for the contests? Who is doing the screening? For the book prize, up to how many mss. will be sent to the judges? Have you foetry-proofed the methodologies?

Also, are these basically form-only contests? What method will be used for publication (print runs of how many or will it be POD?) and what rights will be acquired?
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Benedict View Post
Alex, can you describe the screening process for the contests? Who is doing the screening?
I thought I read somewhere that the editors of AbleMuse would be doing the screening but now I can't locate where I read that at so I could be wrong. I also got the impression that while the final judging would be blind that the screening would not be.

Last edited by Laura Heidy-Halberstein; 09-13-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: changed "bling" to "blind." Thanks, Elle!!
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Kate, as Laura rightly indicated, the editors or Able Muse will do the initial screening. Also, all styles are welcome for the book and the write prize contests (i.e. metrical/formal, non-metrical/free-verse as indicated on the contests' details pages at Able Muse Press) -- and the judge, Andrew Hudgins, has been made aware and welcomes it. The final judges will receive 5 to 10 anonymized finalists depending on the number of entries and the quality of the submissions as determined by the screening editors. Also, the judges will be strictly instructed to disqualify any finalist work they recognize, and we'll refund that contestant's entry fee. Print run method adopted again will depend on the number of entries received. Having said that, no matter what, the finalist book enjoy first-rate production and be will be available through Able Muse Press, and, also distributed at popular book channels worldwide including Amazon and Barnes and Nobles online.

Although we'd like to make an intermediate announcement about who's at the finalist stage, we can't as that might adversely affect the anonymous process. Yes, we'll definitely do everything to ensure as much transparency and fairness as possible, and be as far removed from foetry and their ilk as procedurally possible!

I'll review the contests' detail pages again and add any of the above clarifications missing now.

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

Alex, since the only editor actually listed at the link labeled "masthead" is yourself, I still have questions.

We've been told in other contexts that Tim Murphy is poetry editor, and it appears (since she's doing the interviews) that Sharon Passmore is art editor. But in order for potential submitters to know whether a given poem will be recognized so that a manuscript would end up excluded, it would really help to have a list of all the editors.
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Maryann, in the masthead of our current issue, all the current editors are listed. See http://www.ablemuse.com/v9/masthead . If there are more questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryann Corbett View Post
Alex, since the only editor actually listed at the link labeled "masthead" is yourself, I still have questions.

We've been told in other contexts that Tim Murphy is poetry editor, and it appears (since she's doing the interviews) that Sharon Passmore is art editor.
On this page http://www.ablemuse.com/v9/masthead it lists Alex as Editor, Tim Murphy as Associate Poetry Editor, Thaisa Frank as Fiction Editor with Assistant Fiction Editors listed asTim Love and John Riley. The Non-Fiction Editor is Gregory Dowling.

I am presuming that Tim Murphy will certainly be one of the pre-blind judges along with Alex and, possibly, all or some of the others?

Sorry, crossposted with Alex
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM

Thanks, Alex; thanks, Lo.