Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-10-2015, 01:43 PM

In a sense I should recuse myself, primarily on the basis of my previously stated thinking that we should have a separate critique area for photography, which is utterly different from painting, drawing, music, dance, drama, and cinema. And from poetry.

That said, I don't know what is gained over a straightforward, especially black and white, photograph when you get into all the compu-futz. What you have shown us are truly horses of a different color. But why are they a different color? When Der Blaue Reiter painters picked their emblem and moniker, they were looking to a painting in which color defined a world in a way in which photography cannot. It wasn't a push-button definition.

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 02-10-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:34 AM

Rick, I would love to have another forum for photography, but I hardly think Alex will add another art forum when the one we have uses 1 page to display the last 100 days. The solution? Post post post. I see, on FB, that you have some lovely new paintings up. *wink*
Unread 02-12-2015, 07:41 AM

Yes Sharon, That would be good, as you say for comparison. I tried, but must be doing something wrong. The tarp and fence bar and post has to go, so i'll try to match the other colors and cover. I used invert colors option on paint. Was surprised to see the outcome. Now we have ghostly surreal horses and trees. I'll work on it some more and see what I can do.
Thanks again.
Unread 02-13-2015, 05:48 AM

hmmm Your code looks correct. I don't know why it's not showing in the thread. Maybe the source website has some restrictions?
Unread 03-02-2015, 03:31 AM

Okay, well i'm the webmaster (but very lax one lately) so I'll see if there are restrictions at source. Don't know why there would be, may have to consult with my daughter. She is much more savvy on net publication than I.
Unread 03-02-2015, 04:04 AM

I agree Rick, mostly. Having, cared for, conditioned, and trained these horses; the photo is merely one image of years of such work. Not being a gifted painter, poet, writer, etc; I'm happy to have the tools of today's high tech to experiment with such images; and to produce and publish what strikes, interests, or moves me in some way - be it good, bad, beautiful, or ugly (as my life is). Thank you for viewing and commenting. I have much respect for you as an artist, based on your works you have shared on this forum.
Sincerely,
Stephen
Unread 03-03-2015, 08:36 AM

Stephen,
I have come back a number of times to this photo of your beloved horses. I finally can articulate my thoughts about it.

First, just based on the color scheme of the abstracted photo, I rather like it. I almost always try the inversion just to see what happens with my own photos. But...this becomes just a shot of two horses, ghostly and pale. And that's ok if that is your intention. But I am a big fan of Chinese brush painting and the thinking behind it; for this technique of painting, the artist looks for the essence of the subject. In your case, it is two horses that you know intimately. If I were taking the photo or manipulating it, I would first ask myself what I want to say about these two particular horses. Are they friends? Do they frequently find themselves in each other's company by choice? And when you consider them, what makes them individuals? I'm not as interested in what makes them fit the generic label 'horse' but rather what makes them uniquely themselves. Is it the eyes, the line of the back, the way the coat feels? I've never been around horses so I know little about them. I can get the information about 'horse' from many different sources, but I can only get the information about these two horses from you. You figure out what you want me to know from the photo, and show it to me. For me, then you have a more successful image.
Unread 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM

Thank you, Lorraine.
My aspirations are mostly greater than my achievements - but I keep on, keepin on. Based on this definition of "Art" ; a personal opinion, and statement of artistic purpose.http://sunshinedixieland.com/ElucidationofArt.html
I will let the images of this pair speak for themselves.

"horse people" will recognize, and evaluate many things from the original photo. Health, condition, conformation, gate, approximate age, relationship - dominant, sub dominant (leader, follower), and more - but would not make a factual evaluation or recommendation until they saw them, and put them through their passes (worked them). Both theses horses, have earned thousands of $ in their lifetimes, and are still providing their owners/caretakers countless hours of pleasure and companionship. They are loved. All of which cannot be communicated by a single image. I have videos of them while they were in training, living and working with me, and producing foals (baby horses). Twiggy, black mare & foal; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlJN...=TL2FJm7DTfvbE
This may be more information than you want; but I appreciate your interest in this photograph, and my efforts. Thank you for taking time, to comment. I hope you will still appreciate the images, based on what you see, not on what I have written here, or elsewhere.
Sincerely,
Stephen

Last edited by Stephen Hampton; 03-03-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: bad link
Unread 03-03-2015, 02:07 PM

Stephen,
Thank you for the reply. What it says to me is that, if I am not familiar with horses, then I am left in the dark with this image. That is unfortunate, and reminds me of what has been said to me in the past about writing poetry. The job of a poet is to lead the reader into the experience that the poet had. To me, the job of a visual artist is to lead the viewer into the experience that the artist had. I can appreciate a horse for the qualities that I am shown, without being a horse person. I just feel in this instance, I have been shut out by the artist because of my lacking knowledge of horses.
This comment is not meant to inflame; I hope it isn't seen that way.
Unread 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM

Lorraine,
You are most welcome; admittedly, some things do "inflame" us humans. But, is that not, at times - a good thing?
best
stephen