Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-22-2015, 12:09 AM

wiki has an interesting article on computer animation. From what I know animators still use traditional means to draw characters and storylines. There is no substitute for original artwork. You can make multiple copies of a drawing, the japanese used woodblocks to do this centuries ago, they are just technical aspects of a process, the actual idea, transmitted as an image is always original and there is no substitute for that, nor any compensating technology that makes it less important.
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Original statement edited down to the cultural note that ended it:

Cultural note: I wouldn't invite painters that I know to bring their work to a critique board that includes photography. Certainly not one that includes computer-generated art. I probably wouldn't post art here if I weren't involved in the poetry critique. I would join and invite others to join a board that mixed the traditional fine art genres--it would be interesting to hear from painters critiquing dance, music, cinema, sculpture, drama. And poetry.

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 01-22-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:43 AM

Default For comparison

I am convinced that the scissors should remain in the drawer for all the reasons I went on about yesterday. But I'd like to hear more based on this side-by-side. The scissors will always be there.

Thanks for the response, folks.

Rick

A compromise to consider:

Better than the original crop. But I still think it lacks the ballast, and the lift toward the region in the top image. A part of the painting not to look at but one that needs to be there. The darkness--at the standpoint of the viewer looking out and up.

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 01-22-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Unread 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM

The relationship of the tree branches to the dark sky areas changes dramatically between these two versions.

In the top version the walkway, trees and the dark areas of sky feel like a frame, like one unit. In the bottom version I feel more action, more menace, and the boats take more prominence. The top feels presented to me, the bottom feels like I am approaching this and maybe even spying. Both are nice.

I made an Art Museum thread about the digital art question:
http://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showth...848#post338848