Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Default The Movies

Teaching world literature class the other day, I found myself going on about just how progressively horrible hollywood has become (I won't even cap it, spell-checker be damned). And I love film. Often use movies to illustrate a point, which might crinkle some noses, but it can be helpful in an international class. Anyway, just tonight in an argument about the same, it occurred to me that actually there are some exceptional, relatively young directors in the now and known (and about my age, so maybe this is just me being proud about my generation). I'm thinking of Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, and Spike Jonze (Her floored me). My favorite is the first, but they're all quite good. If you don't want to respond to this, just talk about movies. I'm really wanting for a thread on film.
Unread 10-18-2018, 01:34 PM

Hi James--

I'm game, and I agree with your opening claim. It's been a while since I've seen a movie I thought was better than B- or so (exception noted below), especially an American one, and I can't stand all the comic book movies I see with my children (enjoy the time with them but not the films). I have wondered, though, if the change isn't within me, not Hollywood. I used to like movies and still like seeing an old favorite all the way through, but I am aware that I have a terribly short attention span now and would rather read a book, go for coffee, take a walk, or read the paper than see a film.

The recent movie I loved best, though, was "We Are the Best," a Swedish film about 12 year-old girls forming a punk rock band... Loved it!
Unread 10-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Thanks Simon- you're in my age area too, I think. My initial reason for posting has been my disgust at precisely what you indicated. It's always been a business I guess, but now the overseas market dwarfs the domestic market, which is huge in what movies are made. So, action movies work well, sequels, and "product" identification. I will certainly look up that movie.
Unread 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM

If we're talking modern Swedish movies, let me just say: "You, the Living". Roy Andersson.

Tremendous.
Unread 10-18-2018, 02:34 PM

I'll look that up too, David. Thanks~ in Asia, means I have to watch it alone. I for a moment thought, given the title, had something to do with Let Me In, which, imo, is the most underrated film. My god. (And from a Swedish film.)

Last edited by James Brancheau; 10-18-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Not paying attention and knowing spell-check would get revenge
Unread 10-18-2018, 04:11 PM

I signed up for the FilmStruck app recently and have mostly focused on to see as many Ozu films as possible. The images work as paintings as well as narrative. Have you ever stood before a painting and wondered about the people in them. (I think this is why Vermeer is so popular now.) Ozu lets the figures from his painting show you what they are like. Godard can't stop himself from intruding in his stories. Ozu doesn't come near his.
Unread 10-19-2018, 02:27 AM

I was just reading about Tokyo Story, John. Maybe last week. I think it's connected to a presentation one of my students is doing. Or maybe I just drifted there. Anyway, it's on my must watch list.
Unread 10-19-2018, 07:26 AM

'Boyhood' was a lovely film. And yes, 'Let the Right One In' is great. Haven't seen the remake. I'm currently obsessed with Val Lewton's 40s horror movies ha!
Unread 10-19-2018, 08:09 AM

Tokyo Story was selected as the best movie ever made in a poll of current directors a few years back. I'm pretty sure it's my favorite.
Unread 10-19-2018, 12:47 PM

I don't think I've ever watched one of his movies, John, but your first post was an excellent description. That's poetry, the others in a painting. Ha, fantastic.