Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-10-2018, 09:20 PM

Default Jayne Osborn is a saint

Whoop-de-do, I kinda love you, Jayne Osborn. What's up? Jayne was pointed out to me by an expatriate UK spherean living in the US as a possible helper in a task I thought was impossible. That task was to get ahold (NOW!) of information on three pages of a rare Italian book on Roman consuls that doesn't exist in any US library according to World Cat, and isn't for sale anywhere for any practical purposes. It's almost as rare as green penguins even in the UK, and it is now 71years old, published in that year 1947. Without much hope I'd tentatively asked a small handful of sphereans to see if they could nip into one of the relatively few European libraries where it exists, and -- without batting an eye -- Jayne jumped into her 12 cylinder 800 HP Maserati, drove speedily and cautiously to one of those awesome university libraries somewhere in England (the David Wilson Library at the University of Leicester), waved her credentials, swooped to the upper vaults, photoed those pages, the title page, and for good measure its spine, and effortlessly (almost) emailed me the pictures, which I am digesting for immediate use next week at a synod of classicists in another US state. I will reimburse her for jet fuel and incidentals.
Thank You, Jayne!

Last edited by Allen Tice; 10-23-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Unread 10-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Yeah, Jayne’s dope.
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Aaron, could you have chosen a less ambiguous adjective than “dope”!? Surely you intended something like the Italian word “doppio” (as in “doppio espresso” — meaning “double strength”)? For the younger generation who will soon arrive, “dope” may no longer have its current drug-derived street value of “great”, or even its civilized meaning of “unintelligent” — which she surely is not. If I were Jayne now, I’d be putting ice packs on my earlobes to quell the superheated steam issuing from inside. “Dope” also has a meaning that you may not know of, that is, a liquid applied to cloth (or even paper) stretched over airplane wing and body struts to make them waterproof. It may have been used by Wilbur and Orville Wright, I don’t know. I’d say of Jayne, until proven otherwise, “Yeah, Jayne’s superfine”. May I suggest that as a new post?
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Well, Jayne does have a wand to help her, of course.

Careful Aaron, isn't 'dope' AAVE? We don't want to open that can of culturally appropriated worms again.
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:51 AM

Allen, your proposal has been considered by the committee and denied, on the grounds that it is—and here I'm just quoting the report—"not dope."
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Thank goodness.
Unread 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Novick View Post
Yeah, Jayne’s dope.
Aaron,
Thanks for not putting an indefinite article into that sentence! Haha

I was happy to be able to pull off the challenge and get that information for Allen; it was a bit of an adventure, and an interesting experience! (I've also replied on the "Post Your Good News" thread about it.)

And I mentioned that cliché to Allen: "What goes around, comes around." Always happy to help if I can, ...with or without my magic wand!

Jayne
Unread 10-11-2018, 08:37 PM

Agreed. Jayne's the absolute best. :-)
Unread 10-12-2018, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Siham, thank you.

After the ''dope'' chuckle (see above) I could have become an ''absolute beast'' - like, when one of my daughters was little, I received a Mothers Day card in which she had written "To the beast Mum in the world". I still have it.

I do appreciate the kind words from Spherean friends, and Allen was so grateful it made the whole thing worthwhile. While he's delivering his talk about Catullus, half of my family will also be on holiday in New York - but I had too many commitments to be able to join them, sadly. It would have been nice to meet Allen, and even hear the results of his research that I assisted with, indirectly!

Jayne
Unread 10-12-2018, 06:32 AM

Oh good. Jayne dear, can you please find me a decent 1650 printing of Henry Vaughan's Silex Scintillans? Come to that, perhaps you can check out a few things in the Bodelian manuscript (Tanner 307) of George Herbert's Sacred Poems... for me while you're at it. I'm dissertating soon, and this would be very helpful.

(But seriously, that act was both saintly and fun -- a great combo!)