Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-07-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Elster View Post
Except, of course, for owls! Yes, they are raptors, too, and extremely effective killers.
Thank you Martin I did not know that the word covered owls as well. More raptors now added to the large group that services us.

What an incredible thing I have seen the same in humanity, there must be some atavistic hard wiring hence the constant referral to wicked stepmothers.

Thank you also Mark

I am glad it had impact.

Regards to both

Jan

Last edited by Jan Iwaszkiewicz; 11-07-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Unread 11-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Hi Jan,
By chance, I was listening to a radio segment today that is directly on topic with “In Extremis”, the experience of terror in wild animals and in people, primarily from an evolutionary perspective and extending into PTSD.

Here is a link if you are interested. I love that that the title picture shows a falcon taking a rabbit. I just saw that now when I pasted the link.

Cheers,
Ron
Unread 11-11-2019, 08:26 AM

Jan, I remember this one, though not in enough detail to know quite what you've changed. Regardless, I agree with Frisardi: I think you've figured it out with this version.
Unread 11-11-2019, 08:52 AM

x
Jan, The stalking meter of the bridge stanza is frighteningly full of dread and suspense.

Personally, rabbits have a nightmarish quality to them, thanks to an episode long ago involving a car accident and morphine and comatose dreaming -- so there is added significance for me. The idea of a rabbit screaming is horrifying to me. I didn't know.

Still, this is a wonderfully realistic nature poem, Jan. One of the best pieces I can recall you posting.

Do you intend for the "I" in the poem to be the rabbit? I can hear the rabbit from the grave almost incanting the bridge stanza. (Of course, the "I" is likely not the rabbit. I just have this thing about rabbits...)

In S2L4, why did you chose "from" vs. "of"?

Thanks (I think) for the chills : )
x
x

_______
Coming back to say I've been reading through previous comments and saw the discussion about terror and whether a person is likely to experience it during a lifetime. I agree it's highly unlikely, even though terror at times seems to consume our thoughts theses days. I did want to place a caveat in the discussion, though, to say that in dreams or perhaps in an altered state of mind one can at least experience a simulation of it. Yes?
x
x

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 11-11-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Unread 11-13-2019, 06:36 AM

Hi Ron,

Thank you. Quite apposite both content and photograph. I do think in the fear and terror stakes we are not far removed from the animal kingdom. I have seen PTSD in horses many times and that is an indictment of us the sapient ones.

Thank you Aaron much appreciated.

Hello Jim

Don't watch The Holy Grail then lol

'from' to gain the the feeling that death lives inside the darkness is not just of it.

On terror in dreams I imagine there is a possibility but I do not know I do not remember dreams so it is beyond my ken.

Sorry for the delay in responding but bush fires are dominating my current existence.

Regards and thanks

Jan
Unread 11-13-2019, 07:15 AM

Stay safe, Jan.