Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Default Measure Closing

From Paul Bond:

Friends,

After a lot of careful thought, Rob Griffith and I have decided to cease production of Measure: A Review of Formal Poetry after the next two issues. We are grateful to all our poets and subscribers, who have made editing the journal such a fulfilling job these past thirteen years. We will continue to publish single-author collections through Measure Press. Thank you.

This is very sad news.
Unread 03-11-2018, 07:19 PM

This is, indeed, an immeasurable loss to the world of formal poetry. I wonder what will become of the X. J. Kennedy Parody Award, the winners of which were published in Measure, (though I notice that winners have not been announced for that contest yet, whose submissions closed at the end of September 2017). Measure also published the Nemerov winners. That contest has ended, but if anyone wants to revive it or something like it, I wonder where the winners would appear. The world of formal poetry appears to be contracting on all sides, which is not a good sign for those of us who love it.

Susan
Unread 03-11-2018, 07:40 PM

I inquired about a month ago after the XJ Kennedy results and Rob said that the judge had not yet made up his mind. I just hope he does so in time to publish the results in one of the two remaining issues. For that contest as well as the Nemerov, people paid entry fees and there ought to be winners announced and prizes given even if the winning poems can not be published.

(I inquired six weeks ago, on Facebook)

Last edited by Roger Slater; 03-11-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Unread 03-11-2018, 09:25 PM

Very sad news indeed. It seemed like the anchor publication for formal poetry, the one you could count on. Plus the high visibility and support of the contests associated with it. Free verse and experimental poetry has many venues, and the older publications like Poetry have gone away from publishing formal in favor of what the editors perceive as popular and “current” and New. But at least this decision is not based on “the market” or other external trends, but a more personal decision. I know it’s a lot of hard work to publish and maintain a literary journal, often with not much in return. So thanks for all you did, and I hope more venues will spring up to fill the gap in due time.

Best,
Siham
Unread 03-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Bob, I tried to access the Measure Press announcement of the 2017 X.J. Kennedy Parody Award and got this.

The deadline was September 30, nearly six months ago.

The entries must have been stellar, since the judge seemingly can't make up his mind!
Unread 03-17-2018, 01:18 PM

Oh no.

I just saw this. I just recently got in the summer issue. I feel like one of Larkin's 'unlucky charms'.

What a shame.
Unread 03-17-2018, 01:45 PM

Damn. This is sad news. A strong journal, and necessary venue. I was saving up some formal poems to send to them (no simultaneous submissions.)

What journals are even out there anymore that will take formal poetry seriously? It's not a long list.
Unread 03-18-2018, 09:51 AM

As a relative newbie at this, I second Andrew's question.
Unread 03-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Distinguished Guest

Light, The Hopkins Review, First Things, New Verse News, New Criterion, Dappled Things, The Lyric, Commonweal, Rattle (more than you might think).

I don't mean to disrespect other journals, but I'm tired and working from memory. I hope others will help fill in the gaps for me.

We have also lost recently formal-friendly editors at Sewanee Review & Southwest Review who have been replaced by editors with very different taste.
Unread 03-18-2018, 12:58 PM

Here are a few other titles of journals that take formal poetry, at least some of the time: Lighten Up Online, Better Than Starbucks!, Blue Unicorn, Able Muse, The Asses of Parnassus, Mezzo Cammin (women only), The Rondeau Roundup (contests for poems in repeating forms), Autumn Sky Poetry Daily, The Evansville Review, The Road Not Taken, Valparaiso Poetry Review, The Orchards Poetry Journal, Think Journal, The Classical Outlook (translations of Greek and Latin poetry and poems on classical subjects), Transference (translations), Star*Line (science fiction and fantasy poetry).

Susan