Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-06-2014, 11:02 PM

http://youtu.be/X59U4mUqWtw

Picasso At Work. I went looking for a Y'tube of Picasso drawing I wanted to share but couldn't find it then discovered this. Tantalizing glimpses of him drawing and most interesting for me, transforming soft pottery into…
but you'll need to see the 'tube to find out.
cheers
Ross
Unread 05-07-2014, 01:33 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Unread 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM

A Paul Weingarten landscape--The Manhattan Bridge. By my reckoning, one of the greatest painters working. Formalist poets, I would think, should have a real feel for the quality of something like this.

Full disclosure, he's not entirely unknown to me. Here is his website.

With all due respect, I wish we could bring the level of discussion of art up a few notches here: Who doesn't love Sargent and Picasso? And sculpture gardens? Introduce us to artists that work, as we do, in the grand tradition. God dammit. And discuss.

Thanks,
RM

(Actually, I don't really love Sargent or Picasso. But you know what I mean, I hope.)

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 05-07-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:27 PM

Rick
Picasso almost single handedly began the transformation of art from representation to abstaction, he took Cezanne's intuition that form was as much a product of the eye as the the thing and created with Braque, cubism. That lead to Kandinsky, Miro etc in Europe and then the Abstract Expressionists of the New York school.
I didn't like Picasso either till I saw an exhibition of his drawings, his mastery of imaginitive design, and then my brother who is an art book collector got several massive books of his work, he did 1000's of painting and drawings, he was literally drawing in bed when he died at 90 something, when I looked through my brother's books I saw some amost abstract landscapes of villagers that were wonderful, I don't like a lot of his work, especially his middle and old age stuff where the colours are horrible and the technique becomes repetitive, but he is a giant of modern art, his graphic style influenced western illustrative art all over the place, book covers, advertising, fashion art.
People think of Picasso as a Spanish bull with all his young wives, but his closest friends were poets, and for a year he stopped painting entirely and wrote only poetry. If you read about his life you realise that although he was tough he was also extremely sensitive, I think you can see in film of him his nobility and the deep cultural wellsprings of Spain.
As for Sargeant, wonderful work, very traditional really, Rembrandt, Caravaggio, come to mind, some are very formal, I like the flamenco dancer, his most succeesful painting for me.
Well I hope this stimulates interest, but critiquing paintings, whew, that's hard work, maybe asking too much of poets although Budelaire was a perceptive critic of painting, he also drew a little and had marvellous handwriting. Don't know of many poets who also painted, although strangely Frank Sinatra did reasonable abstract paintings in his old age.
I used to paint but gradually stopped to specialize in writing as I realized you can 'spread yourself too thin' I also tried everything, dancing, acting, guitar playing, singing. Was OK at all of them but it was always dabbling, gave me something to write about and helped me be a good teacher but now I am too old to do anything but write.
cheers
Ross

Last edited by ross hamilton hill; 05-07-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Yes, [well, there are some like me who think Picasso went to the circus] but it's like being asked to share poets we love and expecting something interesting to come from "Shakespeare!" or "Whitman!" I took Sharon's plea as in invitation to introduce artists, and the obvious pictures that came up were a bit disappointing.

I have read most of John Richardson's multi-volume life of Picasso, by the way. And, of course, there is plenty to discuss. It's just that.... never mind.

David Park, by the way, is not particularly obscure. But the Bay Area Figurative Movement, a reaction against abstract expressionism and the New York School specifically, oughta intrigue.

Also, I got off the dime here more because of Wes's cartoon than the previous entries.

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 05-07-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Well, I don't mean to dampen discussion, and I realize I'm being a bit of a bastard. Nor am I saying much about the artists I'm bringing up, because of time constraints. I'll drop out.

RM
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:50 PM

Rick...
that was quick, you replied before I finished editing. You don't like circuses? but I know what you mean. Bit like Warhol…. although I like his work too.
a broken clown on an empty stage c'est moi
Unread 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM

Dropping back in...

I'll admit to having dragged Weingarten in more than once....

There are painters like him that I think are doing something very heroic. They are translating the great tradition into contemporary and personal contexts.

Paul was once loosely associated with another painter named Simon Gaon, who in turn was a member of The Street Painters, a New York-based group. Here is one of his.

...and I will throw in a completely unrelated portraitist, a regionalist, David Bates, who paints the gulf coast (though I think he lives in Dallas).

[Very (too?) like Marden Hartley?]

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 05-07-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Dave is a friend of mine, and one of the founders of the Outdoor Painter's Society (OPS). I don't think you can really make it out, but the hat I'm wearing in my avatar is from OPS. Dave gave it to me when we were painting in Dallas because the humidity was wreaking havoc on my hair, which was not short then.
Unread 05-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Oooh, I like the David Bates portrait. It has that unapologetically flat, outlined, off-kilter look that I so enjoy in religious icons. Somehow the lack of perspective makes the emotion pop more.