Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-24-2020, 03:38 AM

Default The Harvest and the Lamp

My collection The Harvest and the Lamp has finally been issued for real, after a period of confusion with the publisher (Franciscan UP in Ohio) about the book’s launch and supply. It can be got in the usual places, as well as here.

Alex’s Sphere and many Sphereans’ feedback and responses to most of the poems have been invaluable to me and the book, a boon and stroke of luck. I’m profoundly grateful for that.

Let me know via a PM if you’d like a signed copy.

Best to all,

Andrew
Unread 10-24-2020, 11:58 AM

Oh how wonderful, Andrew! I shall have to pick up a copy
Unread 10-24-2020, 01:45 PM

Huh. I've had it for a month and have been putting off reading until I have time to really enjoy it.
Unread 10-24-2020, 02:51 PM

Thanks, Aaron and Andrew.

I'm curious, Andrew, where you got your copy. To make a long story short, the publisher inserted the wrong publication date at Amazon, which apparently cannot be changed afterward, and this caused delays and miscommunication galore with the book. Amazon was listing it, newly released, as unavailable. I heard of some people not getting their copy until a few weeks or more after ordering, others faster. Etc.
Unread 10-25-2020, 03:46 PM

Andrew,

I pre-ordered it July 26th on Amazon and got it September 20th. It's been on my desk for a month as I eagerly wait for moment when I have time to thoroughly enjoy.
Unread 10-26-2020, 02:09 AM

Hi Andrew. First of all, thanks. I hugely appreciate your support and interest in the book.

The timeline you mention (receiving it late September) almost makes sense, since the original publication date had been set for mid-October.

To make a long story long, I'll explain what happened, since others looking in here might experience something similar at some point and it could be helpful to know.

What happened is that my publisher or the marketing department of Catholic UP (which distributes for Franciscan UP) messed up the release date on Amazon USA (but not other Amazon sites). It was listed as August 5 even though the original pub date was for mid-October. The Amazon page in August said the book would be shipped in 4 to 8 weeks, which in itself was odd in light of the stated August 5 pub date but at least it promised something.

After a couple of weeks, the Amazon page started saying "Not available. We don't know when or if this product will be available." Needless to say, that was not optimal for motivating people thinking of buying it.

I asked Amazon about this, and they responded that there was no stock -- the publisher or distributor had to send the copies for stock, which did not happen for two or three weeks. Again, this was all during a period when the book was supposedly being "launched."

And there were further mix-ups along the way, requiring me to contact the publisher and distributor numerous times.

Alex Pepple was a big help in an exchange of emails with me. I'd asked him for his insight since I know he really knows how these things work. With his input the insane process at least made a little sense, though (and this seems the weirdest fact) no one anywhere had the power to correct the erroneous publication date, which was the culprit all along.

Finally, about 3 weeks ago, the situation with the book had been sorted out. Hence this thread, for anyone who might have looked at the Amazon page and given up on the book's availability.
Unread 10-27-2020, 06:16 AM

Wonderful, Andrew. It's on my list. Looking forward to reading your collection, as I have seen parts of it and have thought them strong and well-crafted.
Unread 11-01-2020, 01:08 AM

Thanks, Ron, I appreciate it.