Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Damn, you mean that fool Trump gave away his intentions?
Unread 04-13-2018, 04:19 PM

The Eagle, Bear & Fox

Hannity insanity
and Fox News’s community
are teaching Trump profanity
and hawking his rabidity
which risks Putin’s proclivity
to trigger instability
and provoke calamity.

Last edited by RCL; 04-14-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Unread 04-13-2018, 04:21 PM

Well..... I find it interesting, disturbing and/or revealing (?), that this thread has been available on the site for over 50 hours in the midst of a world crisis in which our fates might be measured in as little as minutes, and yet almost nobody (pace Ralph, and twice!) - especially from the States, whose manifestly unstable and incompetent President has not only the power but also the bombastic proclivities that could immolate the world - has had anything to say. No treasured poems haunting their uneasy souls and none hammering at the doors of frantic or reflective utterance.

So does poetry matter/mean so little to our little Sphere's inhabitants? I confess that I find the prospects so appalling that I cannot find the words - at least not ones infused with any concentration of meaning or expression which can attempt a worthy engagement with the circumstances. But other words do haunt me. Am I alone in this?

Perhaps I should admire the sang froid of others - but, in truth, I find it slightly chilling.

P.S. I first penned this before seeing your second contributuion, Ralph - and my sincere respect for making the attmept, and doing so thoughtfully twice! I keep finding myself tempted to recycle things I wrote around the times of Iraq 2003 and in its various hideous aftermaths and during the peddling of its almost equally disturbing 'aftermyths'.
The great difference then was that I was reasonably sure that they would be read by some sort of audience somewhere, however paltry. Now..... ??

Last edited by Nigel Mace; 04-13-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Unread 04-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Hey, I posted in this thread as well. Not a poem, true, but I am not without opinions on this president and the world he is dragging us into.

CHeers,
John
Unread 04-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So does poetry matter/mean so little to our little Sphere's inhabitants?
Nigel,
I do understand how important the current political issues are, but the plain and simple truth is that we all have our own private lives as well. For my part, I'm currently trying to deal with a deluge of emails and phone calls I've received from people up and down the country, in response to an article I wrote in a national magazine.

In addition, I've been spending some time with my grandchildren while they're off school for the Easter holidays. World events are IMMENSELY important - yet, d'ya know what? - family matters still come first!

This site is wonderful, and no one could dispute that I'm passionate about my involvement with it, ...yet I haven't written a poem about ''Armageddon'' that I could post here, because I haven't had the time!

As John said, Hey, I posted in this thread as well. Not a poem, true, but I am not without opinions on this president and the world he is dragging us into, ...but to ask "So does poetry matter/mean so little to our little Sphere's inhabitants?" is an unfair question.

Poetry matters a great deal to us all. We don't necessarily get around to writing a poem about Trump or current affairs, but it's enjoyable to read others' views and poems on such topics, which help to compensate for our own lack of inspiration and/or time. Please don't feel disturbed/disappointed by this.

Jayn
Unread 04-13-2018, 11:51 PM

Dearest Nigel, don't despair.
It isn't that we do not care.
Jayne's tending to posterity
so much, she has no time for "e."*
And some of us are occupied
preparing for Electiontide.
I'm in the trenches, so to speak.
I've barely raised my head all week.
My song's a work song, not a dirge.
A new world needs a demiurge,
and I have volunteered to try.
And now I'm back to work, friend. Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
Jayn
Unread 04-14-2018, 02:00 AM

Removed. I spoke too loudly and too soon.

Last edited by Ann Drysdale; 04-14-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Unread 04-14-2018, 02:39 AM

I had started a long reply to John, Jayne and Julie when I switched on news... and poetry now seems to be, inadequately, about all we have left.
The Russian statement which mentions the insult to the Russian President is, psychologically, particularly disturbing. Are we really back to a world of competing mega egos? - and I include the puny petulance of May in this. How one's nostalgia for 1962 grows.
I thought your deleted post, Ann, in no way premature. But maybe I've missed a development while typing!
Ironically, the Tweed Valley which has been hunkered under a roof of cloud and mist for days is, this morning, basking beneath clear sunny skies. The No Bombing demo I was headed for in Edinburgh now looks forlorn and Border folk will be heading for the mundane - and international - excitements of the Melrose Sevens.
But Trump and his poodles remain real - and Putin remains potent and offended.
Unread 04-14-2018, 02:45 AM

Tweet

We are such fragile creatures. But we can
still tell the truth, and vote. And that's a plan.

Cheers,
John
Unread 04-14-2018, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Juli,
You'r hilarious

I shouldn't work through half the night,
...too tired to spell my own name right!

(Sorry for the distraction, Nigel.)

Jayne