Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-27-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Auden and Cerf on Pound

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/0...Q5_ltMrv-mrskE
Unread 02-27-2019, 10:43 PM

Thanks for this, Sam. Very interesting and thought provoking.

Martin
Unread 02-27-2019, 10:54 PM

Cerf was a publisher with some integrity, and I can sympathize with his position. However, I am glad that he reversed himself.

There would be no such reversal in such a matter today, however, and Auden would be in a minority.

The Bollingen matter raised the same questions again in 1948.
Unread 02-28-2019, 05:45 AM

Yes, thanks, Sam. Mendelson has done such wonderful work on Auden over the years.

Aren’t we seeing a similar drama play out today, though about a different matter, with Michael Jackson and Woody Allen? But the art, the art remains.
Unread 03-01-2019, 12:12 AM

A substantial part of Pound's poetry is about fascism, so it's impossible to separate the politics from The Pisan Cantos. Still, Cerf was reacting to early poems by Pound, written at times when economics and politics were not yet obsessions.

Woody Allen's Manhattan is a film that touches on (sort of) pedophilia; the age of consent in New York is 17, the age of Mariel Hemingway in the film. Given the accusations, this makes the film difficult to watch, embarrassing. I don't have a problem with his other films, but it's hard to watch him performing with Mia Farrow now.

As far as I know, none of Jackson's music is about his "boys," but personal distaste for his private actions may hinder one from enjoying it.

So many artists of all kinds have had personal failings that spoil their works for many. There are those who refuse to listen to Wagner, for example, or Furtwängler. This, again, amounts to "personal distaste," and its very hard to argue with it.

I have read so much about the havoc that Lowell and Berryman caused to loved ones that I have trouble reading them anymore.

Last edited by R. S. Gwynn; 03-01-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Unread 03-01-2019, 06:12 AM

Assuredly, it’s fruitless to argue over personal taste. And I think you’re right that, to the extent that an artist’s work concerns his or her personal craziness or depravity, it’s probably tougher to like or to defend.

I guess I can compartmentalize, because I know my life would be poorer without Wagner, or Woody Allen, or (occasionally) some MJ, who did, I think, have genius. Or Lowell. Or Dostoyevsky. Or Rilke. Or Hemingway. Or Picasso. Or Woolf. Or Beethoven. Or… there’s plenty of human shortcomings to go around. What might a biographer say about you, or me? (Which is not to put everyone’s shortcomings on the same level -- by no means.)

As an aside, I’m unconvinced by the closing lines of Auden's “Postcript”:

God may reduce you / on Judgment Day
to tears of shame, / reciting by heart
the poems you would / have written, had
your life been good.

That seems to me a pat answer to something unknowable. Had Auden's life been ‘good’, who knows if he might not have eschewed poetry altogether, and devoted himself to ‘better’ pursuits? Perhaps like Dorothy Day, whom he considered the only saint he had met?

Or perhaps he considered Day's life 'poetry'.

M

Last edited by Michael F; 03-06-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: style
Unread 03-01-2019, 08:35 AM

IIRC, Auden told his supervisor at Oxford he planned to be a poet. The man smiled, and Auden said "You misunderstand me. I intend to be a great one."
A small thesis I have is that both Jackson and Allen vanished into bubbles of noodling artistically after their scandals broke. I think the case can be made. Rather as Tiger Woods has struggled to be the golfer he was.

Cheers,
John
Unread 03-01-2019, 10:40 AM

I know that "civil discourse" has become as derided and jaded a term as "political correctness" in some quarters, but it's definitely more conducive to reconciliation than today's carnival-like auto-da-fé atmosphere in social media.

I'm struck by the humility of both men as each expressed how he was still grappling with the ethical nuances. No grandstanding about their own way being absolutely the only way for any person of conscience to view the situation.

I also note that Auden's correspondence in this matter was both courteous and private. As was Cerf's correspondence with Auden. It's hard to reconcile with someone you've already publicly guillotined for his crimes, before a crowd of cheering and jeering tricoteuses.

[Other stuff I said after that deleted, for pot/kettle problems of my own.]

[I'll add this instead: Dorothy Day famously enjoined others against calling her a saint, saying she did not want to “be dismissed so easily.”]

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 03-01-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Can't spell, either. Sheesh.
Unread 03-01-2019, 12:44 PM

Withdrawn. Differences of opinion, but, heh, these days, not significant enough.

Last edited by James Brancheau; 03-01-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Unread 03-01-2019, 02:00 PM

(Barring extraordinary situations like a revolution,) it's very unwise to bite the land that fed you. After his early work and criticism, Pound's reality testing became seriously defective, I don't know why. Unanchored ego? In time of war, pretty close to treason.