Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Default "Fug"

Alright, I've used the British word "queue" in a poem. Now, do you think I can get away with using "fug"? It's a pretty great word.
Unread 06-20-2019, 11:53 AM

If you're using it in the OED "stuffy room" sense, just be aware that "fug" is also used in modern parlance as a stand-in for exclaiming "fuck" (a la "frick" etc.)...so you may get some misreadings.
Unread 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fugs

Cheers,
John
Unread 06-20-2019, 12:15 PM

It is a good word. I used it in a poem here recently and seemed to get away with it:

his blanket fug, his yellow ceiling,
his standard lamp and warm black beer.

Nobody in England uses 'fug' as a euphemism for 'fuck', though. 'Frig' or more politely 'fudge' maybe. Do they in the US? I thought it was invented by Norman Mailer in The Naked and the Dead which then inspired the band 'The Fugs'.

Edit: cross-posted with John! Ha, I do love The Fugs.
Unread 06-20-2019, 12:55 PM

It's all right with me.
Unread 06-22-2019, 09:27 PM

"Frig" and "frigging" are used as euphemisms for the F-word here in Maine as a verb and adjective, and are acceptable in all but the most refined society. I hear "freaking" once in a while, but used by tourists from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and other southern states.

I've never heard "fug" at all. If I did, I would have guessed it was a mongrel dog involving a pug being bred with some dog breed that begins with an F.

"Queue" is getting popular here because it is used by computer people, or their electronic substitutes on the phone; but we still "line up" to buy gas or movie tickets.

Last edited by Douglas G. Brown; 06-22-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Unread 06-23-2019, 08:33 AM

Looking up The Fugs on YouTube, I found a crude track called “Do you Like Blurbs A Lot” (Gotta Like Blurbs A Lot!) nsfw!, that’s covertly patriotic, and naturally inspirational for people like me who are ready for Book One of my selected. There’s also a musical setting of sorts of William Blake’s “Sunflower” poem. Also, “Slum Goddess of the Lower East Side” (of New York City), and others so so obscene that a leaked 60s FBI report describes The Fugs as essentially so bad that they cannot be described. There’s also one called “My Baby Done Left Me” (“And I Feel Like Home Made Spit” [more or less]), also nsfw! and offensive to West Virginians [which is highly unfair to fine people who just happen to be mountain folks who can’t help where they was born or what their religion might be]. Still, it provokes a smile or simile in anyone at all who was dropped like a mean potato just when they didn’t need that at all, anyhow. Been there, even might have done that. Ouch, that burns. The Fugs.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 06-23-2019 at 08:37 AM.