Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-03-2015, 05:47 PM

Default Les Saltimbanques - after Picasso

Done using Wacom tablet/pen and Mac Paintbrush app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverted colours:best picasso 5 a.jpg
Views:	1385
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	839  

Last edited by ross hamilton hill; 01-03-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Unread 01-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Thumbs up

Beautiful work, Ross. It's fascinating to explore the result of such wonderful control and hand-eye coordination in this painting you've created with that pen and tablet of yours. More---please!
Unread 01-07-2015, 01:06 PM

Hi Patricia, This was traced although the tablet is so difficult to use it did require a very light touch and much simplification. Fortunately the limitations of the tablet and the Paintbrush app have meant the work throws up unusual results. I have done two more using the same technique also many abstracts that are more fun but probably less impressive to the veiwer.
Thanks for you comment. I will post more when this one has run it's course.
And to other viewers, please leave a comment, this is a forum, not an art gallery where a respectful silence is required.
Unread 01-10-2015, 10:18 PM

This is very interesting, Ross. My only nit is that I find the jagged quality of the white and yellow lines distracting, especially between the little girl's legs and at the point where the blue man and the black, white and grey man's hips almost meet. The same jagged edge happens with the black lines but it doesn't distract so much. I don't get the feeling the roughness was intended but accepted. My mind wants them to either be smoother by use of anti-aliasing or else go all-out and break up into a background texture. This is just my personal taste, of course.

Your choice of colors is lovely and has nice energy, rhythm and balance.
Unread 01-11-2015, 12:13 AM

Sharon, the patternation was deliberate, it was using a flaw in the very simple painting app I use, if you change a colour the change leaves a pixelated edge behind of the previous colour, I think it works as a kind of aura around some of the figures but as you observe is not always successful, I like exploring 'mistakes' and quirks in the app. I used the 'invert colours' command and that created the present colour scheme and brought in the dramatic black.
thanks for commenting, I wonder why so many view these but so few comment, unusual on Eratosphere for people to be shy about having their say.
kind regards
Ross
Unread 01-11-2015, 08:39 AM

The visual art forum has never had the same dynamics as the poetry forums.

I think this is partially due to the fact that it's harder to workshop things which are already complete. I think artists don't want to show something that's not finished.

Recently I tried a post about a collage that was not complete to see what would happen, http://www.ablemuse.com/erato/showthread.php?t=21546
and it got relatively good traffic and comments.

I notice that, when specific questions are asked there are more comments, but only about the question which is slightly frustrating.

We also had very good participation when doing the challenges a few years back.

The longest thread ever was at the very start of my moderatorship. It was "Show us your websites" I believe that went on for several pages. That doesn't help with getting a crit though, does it?

Is it more intimidating to comment on fine art? There is a bit of an "Emperors New Clothes" situation in the art world. There! I said it. People don't want come off as clueless. I don't want to either. I always feel intimidated to comment. What do I know?

Another aspect of this situation is this....Why is the poetry side of Erato great?? Because the comments are not pat-on-the-back lovely things your mom would say. You better be prepared for surgery, right? This is why so many Eratospherians are getting published. This is why we are famous. I try to make comments that have some substance to them.

Can this be done in the art forums? Who has the expertise to say something is wrong? Is it even possible to say something is wrong in a piece of visual art? And back to what I said before, people are posting finished work. Digital art can be reworked on a copy but usually a painting can't, a sculpture can't. Things get "overworked" looking from too much fixing. It's not like a poem where a revision has no eraser marks on it.

LOL, Ross, you got me on a roll but I think about this problem a lot. I would welcome any ideas to give the Art forum a jolt.

Did you know that only members can view the images here? Ain't that a kick in the head?
Unread 01-11-2015, 01:45 PM

Sharon, can't that be changed, about only members viewing, as you would know, guests outnumber members in other sections by a large margin.
As for comments, I see you point, but it is probably as much the fact that members are primarily interested in poetry, art critics, theatre critcs, critics of published novels, crit not to tell the author how to fix it but simply to tell all and sundry what they think of the work. I was puzzled because I wondered whether people looked at my art because I was referring to a famous painting, they then may have been utterly disappointed, although no commnets saying that, perhaps it's just vanity, wanting some response, any response. I can't think of any thing to make it more interesting, at least people do look, I would imagine if guests were allowed to look one would see a huge surge in numbers viewing. Maybe getting that changed, it shouldn't be difficult, would be a step in the right direction. I know on f'book people often submit photos, Rick Mullin, who posts here, often posts photos on f'book, perhaps if your art section broadened it's scope to include photos more would post, maybe photos are already accepted, but the word 'art' tends to make people think of paintings.
kind regards
Ross

Last edited by ross hamilton hill; 01-11-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Unread 01-17-2015, 11:34 AM

Hi Ross,
Yes, photography is even mentioned in the heading of the forum, so yes I would love to see some photography.

I don't know if it would help anything for non-members to see the images. That would make the views to comments ratio even more absurd. A few years back I was invited to help with the "Deck the Halls" event and my niece kindly allowed me to use some of her lovely photos to make the pages framing the poems. She was not able to see the end result as a visitor so we had to come in together.
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:20 PM

I don't think letting non-members see the art section would make things more absurd, more comments would make it more interesting but having more readers, well that gives the ego a big boost.
Unread 01-18-2015, 06:02 AM

Just the ratio would be absurd - maybe I should say unbalanced. Yes, it's true, the more people who view the better. I will ask Alex again.