Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-08-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise--in Kansas City!

I'm pleased to report that thanks to exceedingly generous donors, the renowned Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, Missouri, is now the permanent home of legendary gilt bronze doors from the Baptistery in Florence.

Ghiberti began work on The Gates of Paradise for the east portal in 1425. When the original doors were removed for repair and regilding in the 19th century, a master fabricator took molds. These molds were used for new castings in 1990. The original doors were moved to the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, and replaced by one of these copies. The other copy in all its gilded glory came to the Nelson-Atkins.

As a Docent at the Nelson-Atkins, I commend this and many other classic and contemporary art marvels in Kansas City. In fact, a small Bosch formerly stored in the "attic" has recently been authenticated as from the hand of the artist himself. What luck!

Let me know when you'll be passing through "flyover country" on the surface. I'll be delighted to show you around.
Unread 02-12-2018, 05:55 AM

Hi Barbara,

Those doors are beautiful. Congratulations on getting that mold for your museum! Last time I was in Florence, there was scaffolding around the Baptistery, and I didn't know about the Museo dell'Opera, so i missed them. Maybe I'll see them in Kansas!

Cheers,
John

Update: sorry - MO.