Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-30-2019, 09:19 PM

Default Deep Red

Deep Red

Wheeling leaves
Sift the wind through them,
Whirlybird circles,
Glittering quince.

In calm, crimpled reaches
The roosted look down,
Out upon their uncollated
Wilderness.

Those of the persuasion
To climb the sweet slope of the sky
Merely unclasp
And rise like song itself, an upward splash.

The lush rustling among their own
Falls quiet in reply.
Silence grows,
Earth’s grenadine harmonics fructify.
Unread 10-01-2019, 10:33 PM

I’m hearing this as free verse, solid and crafted free verse for sure, but not “metrical.” Not that I’d change that--the poem has found its form, and it works.

I like the rich, sensuous restraint in this, its choice diction and its slantwise look at the change of season. Some points to consider:

S3L2, I would cut “the” before sky. “sweet slope of sky” has a more ascendant rhythm.

In the next line, do you need “itself”? It seems redundant to me.

In the last stanza, the second line, I would consider options to “Falls.” It’s synonymous with the season’s name, which is a distraction. “Goes” would add an internal rhyme which breaks the mood, but alternatives for “Fall quiet” (which is a bit nondescript anyway) must be out there, beyond my early-morning brain.

I am not really getting “The lush rustling among their own”? The birds’ own? Rustling often refers to leaves, so the line feels somewhat out of focus.

The last line is wonderful.

Much enjoyed,

Andrew
Unread 10-02-2019, 05:03 AM

Hi Anka,

Yes, I like it, and I like Andrew's comments. I've decided my best way to comment is to copy the whole poem and put it here stanza by stanza with comments after. I think I can get better into its mechanics that way.

Wheeling leaves
Sift the wind through them,
Whirlybird circles,
Glittering quince.

I quite like your alliteration. Whirlybird feels a bit childlike, but after all, why not? That is an appropriate state in which to contemplate leaves. It bumps up oddly against quince, not a childlike word for me, but that may be OK. I don't see leaves as glittering though I like the sound. I'd change the comma after them to an em dash or colon, I think.

The roosted look down,
Wilderness.

I'm not sure how the reaches are crimpled. I'm not seeing it yet. After the comma in "out upon," I'm unsure whether that's where the roosted are, or where they're looking. I think the word out lends itself to that ambiguity, FWIW. Uncollated is rather nice if it's the leaves of the trees you're describing, as I assume it is. I've never seen that before.

Those of the persuasion
To climb the sweet slope of the sky
Merely unclasp
And rise like song itself, an upward splash.

Yeah, I'd lose a the in L2 here. It's too long. I think I'd prefer lift to rise, somehow "rise like song itself" doesn't quite work for me whereas I feel like "lift like song" might. Possibly it's the alliteration? I do like this meandering sentence/stanza.

Falls quiet in reply.
Silence grows,
Earth’s grenadine harmonics fructify.

"among their own" seems unmoored to me, I'm unsure what's going on. Maybe i want a noun after "own"? Or a noun instead. I guess own functions as a noun there. If these are other birds, I'm unsure why the lush rustling would fall quiet just because some lift into air. That's not my experience. Silence grows seems all well and good - I've seen the idea before - but I'm unconvinced silence ever actually does that. Either it's silent or it's not silent. So it's not my favorite English cliche. Maybe swells would trip me up less, but I'm unsure. OTOH, I too very much like your last line. Grenadine in particular is a great word. I quite like that you've got a rhyme here to close.
OK, that's about where I'm at. Because it's short and chiseled, it seems to invite a particularly close reading. I think the title's fine - not one that would ever occur to me, but that may be a good thing! And yes, I do like the poem. Also not one I'd ever write, but that's part of the beauty of it.

Cheers,
John
Unread 10-02-2019, 05:22 AM

I agree that this isn't so much metrical as sprung rhythm, so I've moved it to non-met.
Unread 10-02-2019, 11:01 AM

x
For me, this paints (as it should) a landscape that is moving, relenting to the forces of nature. Yet the line and stanza structure inhibit that movement, IMO.

I wonder if you need the stanzas. There is a singularity to it all that the stanzas feel like they are partitioning rather than unifying it. Perhaps you could experiment with a solid block and even staggering lines to give it some echo of movement, like this:

Wheeling leaves
xxxSift the wind through them,
Whirlybird circles,
xxxxxGlittering quince.
xxxThe roosted look down,
xxxxxWilderness.
Those of the persuasion
xxxTo climb the sweet slope of the sky
Merely unclasp
xxxxxAnd rise like song itself, an upward splash.
xxxFalls quiet in reply.
Silence grows,
xxxxxEarth’s grenadine harmonics fructify.

Like Andrew, I too can't figure out what is rustling in S4L. I like, too, his suggested trimming of "the" and "itself".
Though I don't have a suggestion for what might be better, I think "persuasion" in S3L1 sounds a bit aristocratic.

Hope this gets you thinking.
x
x
Unread 10-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses so far. Yes, this did probably belong here - it wouldn't have fit my own definition of metrical, but it seemed to me at the time to fit the board's. I guess I'll go for this one in the future if there's any doubt - as there probably will be, as much of what I write nowadays toes the line pretty closely.

I'll be back to respond to comments later - got to head out now. I will say, though, that I'm glad that the final line isn't confusing people - or if it is, that's it's not doing it in a problematic way, which was what I was most worried about.

Edit: And I guess I'll add that the way I pictured it was that the birds are initially crowding one another a bit, and so when some leave, the rest become more still.

Last edited by A. Sterling; 10-02-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo + addendum
Unread 10-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Hi all, and thanks again. Your comments have been very helpful in letting me know what’s coming across and what isn’t. It’s especially interesting in that everyone singled out the parts that I ended up adding later in an attempt to make it easier to follow as unnecessary or distracting and understood the original parts I thought were more out-there regardless.

Andrew, I’m happy to hear the last line worked for you, and am considering all the points you make. I do wonder, though, whether removing the ‘itself’ might make the simile brush up a bit too closely against the more familiar association of birds and song.

John, I was hoping for a suggestion of frost with the ‘glittering’. Maybe, in the course of revision, I’ll find a way to bring that out a little more.

Yes, why not ‘whirlybird’? I was interested to learn, via Google search, that the proper name is ‘samara,’ a word I had never heard before – and also that for many people, they’re one of those everyday things for which they have no word. And, yes, I do think an em-dash is called for. I believe it actually had one there at one point.

I was anticipating people would be having trouble with harmonics fructifying rather than silence growing – but I’d prefer to keep that one there for the sake of the antithesis.

Jim, I like your idea of arranging it as one unified block. I really don’t think this has a better reason to be in stanzas than that I’m used to writing them. Doing it that way would also make it easier to elaborate on the details that aren’t clear as it is now – at least in theory.

I guess what I was going for with ‘persuasion’ – and this is proofreader-me coming in after poet-me to decide what stays and what goes, so it really is a guess—is an impression of ease. Also, I feel like it's slightly less anthropomorphic than the obvious alternatives.
Unread 10-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Not a poem I'd write either, but lovely. Not sure I'd interrupt the first stanza with the second line. A pleasure to read.
Unread 10-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Hi James,

Thanks! I’m not sure what you mean by interrupt, though. I'm not quite seeing it….
Unread 10-09-2019, 12:44 PM

So beautiful, A! The music of your words, however, crashed and clanged in my ear with "fructify." Sounds like the f-word almost. Also, the last line seems a bit overloaded with multi-syllabic words. It might be stronger to just say "fly."