Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM

Chris,

If you're in Delaware, I'm guessing we're talking midnight eastern daylight time? Or is it midnight PDT, in honor of our friends on the west coast?

Just checking,

Thanks,

Bill
Unread 07-16-2009, 05:38 AM

Err, well, maybe I should have specified, but it doesn't seem to have ended up mattering. At 6:35 EST Thursday morning, entries are now closed. Decision time!

Chris
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Chris, would you mind privately informing those whose translations you have chosen? In past bake-offs, we learn if we have been chosen only upon seeing our poem be posted, or upon seeing the twelfth poem get posted without ours having appeared. Unless there's a reason not to that I'm overlooking, I'd prefer, for no good reason, knowing when we get started whether I'll be up or not. It's up to you, of course.
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
Chris, would you mind privately informing those whose translations you have chosen? In past bake-offs, we learn if we have been chosen only upon seeing our poem be posted, or upon seeing the twelfth poem get posted without ours having appeared. Unless there's a reason not to that I'm overlooking, I'd prefer, for no good reason, knowing when we get started whether I'll be up or not. It's up to you, of course.
I disagree. I enjoy the anticipation as each poem or pair of poems is rolled out. I wouldn't want to know ahead of time.

David R.
Unread 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Other thoughts on this?
Unread 07-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Well, not telling the participants may boost readership. More people might tune in just to see if their poem was selected to be critiqued.
Unread 07-17-2009, 06:04 PM

But if I know in advance that my translation will eventually be posted, I can make snarky criticisms of everyone else's work in order to influence the vote. Or maybe I can make overgenerous comments about everyone else's work to try to set the tone for my own work.

Seriously, I'd prefer knowing. I also learned the gender of my child before he was born, though others prefer waiting until puberty.

No biggie, Chris. Whatever you decide.
Unread 07-17-2009, 06:38 PM

I'd prefer knowing in advance, by email. If we're required to keep it confidential, that's fine.

An awful lot of waiting goes on in this po biz—more than enough already!
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:11 PM

I agree with Bob and Terese - I can't see any harm in advising all submitters if their translations have gone forward, or not.
Unread 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allinson View Post
I agree with Bob and Terese - I can't see any harm in advising all submitters if their translations have gone forward, or not.
Except if some of them didn't want to know ahead of time! I am sorry if this sounds like an overreaction, Mark, but that comment seemed a bit dismissive of my earlier post, along the lines of, "I can't see any harm in spoiling David's enjoyment."

Anyway, like I said, I think some of the fun is in watching to see if I made it or not. If I made it and was that would be spoiled; if I didn't make, and I knew that everyone who did was notified, I'd know I didn't make and the fun would be spoiled anyway. Maybe if submitters indicated whether or not they wanted early notification when they submitted, that would solve it in the future, but now...?

Having said that, it really isn't that big of a deal, and I seem to be the only one feeling this way, so I'll go along with whatever you decide Chris.

David R.

Last edited by David Rosenthal; 07-17-2009 at 11:03 PM.