Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-14-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Transformer

Type in a few lines of your or someone else's poetry and press Complete.

https://talktotransformer.com/?fbcli...4oSeLP8rIwKGZs
Unread 05-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Fun. Here's old Gerard transformed:
No worst, there is none. No worst, there is no worst. No worst, there is none.

[C.C.]

"Good evening,

"Dreadful

"Mouth,

"Foul

"Speak not, and speak nothing.

"Fear not, but fear; fear it not, and speak nothing."

"Fear ye the word of life for it shall perish from you;

"But as for fear, it shall die with thee, and from thee shall all days be ended."

A very old man came and gave the old man a pewter crown.

"And here it begins." exclaimed the old man, and put it on his head, and shook hands. "And this is the crown of the dead."

He went and knelt and prayed, and said to God, "Be merciful, Lord.

"Grant me your grace to come hither.

"I go with thee, for this is our last blessing.

"The world of light has gone dark,
Unread 05-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Stumped after a few lines? Try this!

I caught this morning morning's minion, dapple dawn drawn falcon in his riding suit."

"Dapple dawn?"

"The night that dapple dawn is the night, that is to say, is the twilight, the dusk, the morning light. Dapple dawn, though it is night on this earth, makes a long and lonely way across the night. Dapple dawn may have many eyes, eyes which the night-god sees that know nothing of his thoughts, the eyes of all who hear him. But they are only half of the night--they are half his vision. When he sees a thing, he knows it not, though that thing knows him."

"Aha."

"A great dark shadow that shadows in every corner of the world, to make its own existence, to make itself see all. Dapple dawn is a spirit in disguise. And it can see so high up because of the stars and because the stars are so low, because of the shadows which hide the face of the god and his great shadow from him, because of the moon and its darkness which seems to grow.
Unread 05-14-2019, 04:33 PM

I really liked the line:

"A very old man came and gave the old man a pewter crown."

Completion
A very old man came and gave the old man a pewter crown.

5 Now the Pharisees and the high priests came to Jesus, and said to Him, "Truly, we know that your Father who is in Heaven hates you and wants all men to come to His Father."

6 But Jesus did not say, "And what does the high priest want that we should do?" but said instead, "Do things the way your Father does."

7 So they said to Him, "Teacher, what is this about? Why aren't you more like the other disciples?"

8 A man from the south approached Him, and said to Him, "Teacher, we're still standing here." And He said to Him, "You are no longer my disciples."

9 And the man with him, he of the south, said to Him, "Why do we stand here?"

10 Jesus answered and said to Him, "You said that I am you, and you are the way, the truth, and the life. And if you follow me, you will not
Unread 05-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Oo-er! I can't make head or tail of this.

Is it because I'm a woman/I'm British/I'm daft/I'm old/I'm tired... or all of those things? (I'm going for 'tired' as it's bedtime here.)

I'll look in tomorrow to see whether I can make more sense of it, or that someone has explained it to me in simple terms

Jayne
Unread 05-14-2019, 06:17 PM

I have been one acquainted with the night of the fire, of the battle, of the surrender."

The next evening as he was at work on his second and last night the news arrived that, if he was to die before sunset the fire would be cut off before he could go home, leaving him in the care of the soldiers on guard of the walls of the castle.

He looked tired when he spoke this last morning, and felt as if he were going to lose the war he had joined; but he remembered that his only consolation in the last hour was that the army and his friend, who was in his house, were safe and sound, and that his father and his wife and his brother and his sister were well.

He went out at an early hour and was at home some time before dinner when General Wager announced that he was to be made regimental commander of the Second Corps. In the morning of the 29th, when he was up he returned to his barracks, and there made up his mind to go and die a hero. He made a report to his son-in-law, who was then the
Unread 05-14-2019, 06:39 PM

Jayne, just click on the link and type in a line or two.
Unread 05-14-2019, 06:47 PM

It seems to favor scripture (second try; first was numbered chapters and verse)

I have been one acquainted with the light of truth from my youth, and always will be one, as is stated in Scripture; and as I now see God preparing for us that same light, and it is a great help to me, I know that every man is now in the spirit (2 Peter 1:5), being an instrument for salvation (1 Timothy 3:15). In short, the word "love" is derived from the word "cordite" (from kleos, love) and as it appears in Scripture, I trust that in Christ we will see many more such examples of this truth as this. Thus is it written by John, in 1 John 4:14-32:

We do not say that God did not love us, but that in the midst of our weakness He loved us. That is the gift of God. For we know Him, for we are in Christ Jesus, even the one to whom we call and which we call to ourselves. I am not here to speak of our weaknesses, for God has overcome them completely; but I have come to you, because God's grace and the love

Last edited by RCL; 05-14-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Unread 05-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Game starts is two minutes:

The Golden State Warriors are geniuses. They are better than everyone except for the Clippers. This is what will define basketball for years to come. It was a mistake by Mark Jackson to try and bring Shaq out of retirement, in large part because the Clippers were his best chance at building a championship squad. If Jackson brought Shaq back in 2014, that would have created the largest team explosion in NBA history.

Instead Jordan was on the verge of turning the Warriors on (he's a great coach, in my book) as a player until Steph Curry went down (this was before he turned into a freak of nature, mind you). Curry had his moment, as did LeBron and Chris Bosh, who made the playoffs after Jordan's disastrous run.

For a long time, this league was full of coaches who had a big impact on their teams as players, but never the team they leave behind after they leave. That's when the magic happens. And Jordan proved that he was capable of winning at this level because he was truly willing to sacrifice everything for the team, not just financially.
Unread 05-14-2019, 08:51 PM

Sorry, guys, but if you can't write your own poetry - don't bother. This reminds me of the old saw about an infinite number of monkeys pounding away at an infinite number of keyboards until one will produce the complete works of Shakespeare. The difference here is that if you enter random sentences or quotes in a clever computer program, the program will eventually churn out something that sort of says something. Well la-di-effing-da! The only post on this thread that makes any sense is #5.

Last edited by Michael Cantor; 05-15-2019 at 02:48 AM.