Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-31-2018, 11:41 AM

Default anthology seeking hair poems

Hi All,

I'm passing on a call for submissions from Kate Sontag, a poet I met last week at Poetry by the Sea. She's thinking of putting together an anthology of hair poems, and is looking for both published & unpublished poems on the subject of hair. So far she mostly has poems by women and poems about the hair on the scalp -- and she still wants more of those -- but she welcomes hair poems by any gender, about any sort of hair, and in any poetic style. Free, formal, serious, funny, or whatever -- as long as it's about hair. She says to please put “Hair Poetry” in the subject heading and cut & paste the poems into body of the email and send to hairpoetry123 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Also, if you know of any hair poems by other poets, she'd love to know about them too. I figured the collective wisdom of the Sphere would turn up some good leads.

Thanks,
Nausheen

Last edited by Nausheen Eusuf; 06-08-2018 at 01:14 AM. Reason: new email address for submissions
Unread 05-31-2018, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Hi Nausheen,

Many thanks for telling us about this.

I'm especially grateful to you, as I've written a sonnet about hair this evening, and I haven't had time to write anything much for quite a while. I'm about to send it off to Kate, with my fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Jayne

(Hope you had a great time at PBTS!)
Unread 06-01-2018, 06:59 AM

You're very welcome, Jayne! Yes, PBTS was wonderful -- I got to see many Spherean friends.

Nausheen
Unread 06-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Administrator

I had a rapid, enthusiastic response from Kate. It started my day off very nicely

I hope lots of Sphereans will submit poems, helping to make this anthology become a viable proposition.

Jayne
Unread 06-02-2018, 08:11 AM

I've sent a couple of pieces that I had lying around. Perhaps with my whisky this evening, I should write a new one called "Hair of the Dog".
Unread 06-02-2018, 07:19 PM

One of my favorite poems by Alicia Stallings, "The Tantrum," is a hair poem. I really love that poem.
Unread 06-07-2018, 08:17 AM

Hi all,

Kate Sontag for whom I recently posted a call for a possible anthology of hair poetry asked me to tell you that she is very grateful for all your submissions and enthusiasm about the project. It's still in an exploratory phase where she's just collecting material to see if it's viable, and then will try pitching to presses. For that reason, she wanted to clarify that if you sent an unpublished poem, you should feel free to continue submitting it elsewhere, since for her anthology (when & if it becomes a reality), previously published is totally fine.

Thanks,
Nausheen