Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-26-2019, 03:13 PM

Like Annie, that's all I see: the title and the first three lines.
I haven't touched or edited the poem.

Nemo
Unread 01-26-2019, 03:16 PM

The next character should be an em-dash.
It's not there, and everything after it is missing.
A special character clue?

N
Unread 01-26-2019, 03:37 PM

Earlier today the whole poem was invaded by weird characters. They have gone now, but taken the poem with them.
Unread 01-26-2019, 08:37 PM
Administrator

I tried fixing it but the forum software is much too buggy to the point where things that should work often bring down something else. When you add the bugs in the server operating system and tools (the same ones that had crashed the server and brought about this tenuous post-recovery state!), then the problem gets compounded several times over. And as you all must have noticed, we did end up losing two days worth of posts! I've just worked on it again, and now the loss should only be by two to three hours.

Nemo, I hope you have a copy of your post, but if not, I might be able to cobble it together for you from the system logs. Sorry the gremlins seem to like you best!

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 01-26-2019, 10:45 PM

I have a copy of Nemo's poem, if needed. Intact and free of strange characters!

Done!
Unread 01-27-2019, 01:49 AM

Excellent stuff! Well steered, Alex - and well saved, Mark. I was starting to worry lest tweaking the finer points of the rigging might somehow sink the ship again.

Do you have any guidelines for the crew, Alex? Anything we can do to ensure the cargo stays uncorrupted?
Unread 01-27-2019, 09:48 AM

T̵̩̲͚̹͗͌̉͛̔h̸͚̽͗̓͊̀͜͠e̴͕͕̱̘̲̾̽̀́̉͘ ̸͎̰̺̻̊͗͆s̶̛̩̼͊̄͝͝ͅë̶͓̫̜̠́̌̾̔͠͠ͅn̶̬̖̯̲̈́t̵̻̄̇̏͊͋̏r̴ ̼̞̩̍̔̓̅y̵̡̘͖͙̠̽̎͝ ̴͖̖̰̙̓͑̑͜ṡ̷͖̞̦̖̼̣̀͑̉̔̕l̵̜̟̻̬̐̈e̶̤̞̣̽͊͋ͅp̸̰̼̹͊̈́̑͜t ̶͚̤͓̘̽.̴̥̜̆́͌ ̸̢̮̪͚͓̽́̓T̶͉̱̠̱̩̗͐͗̿̓ḣ̸̢͉̣̯̿e̴̜͕̕ ̵͍͂͋ć̶̞̜͈̲͜ͅr̶͛́͛̈͜o̸̢̤̳̖͇͚͑̆́͘s̶̩͂̊̿͑ͅš̷͕̈́ȓ̷̦̩̰̀ ͊̾̇̄o̸̩̼͕̜̒́ȁ̷̛̬̹̘͎̄̾͊d̵̝̮͈͛̓̔̏s̸̨̼̝̼̉̍́̕ ̸͙͘c̴̛̻̻̻̱̲͌ȕ̸̘͙͋͜r̵̲͎̭̦͈͖̃l̵͔̖͝ͅȩ̷̨̛̼̳͖́͂̕d̶͍ ̳̼͎̿ ̷̮̾̽ȗ̸̺̟̠̝̞̀̈́̔͜ṗ̸̛͓̫̯̬ ̵̢̢̛͕̼̮̏͋̃́̽i̷̗̙̘̋̿͛̓͝n̶̜̞̘̥̑̎ͅ ̸̡̧̡̺̰̅̓̂h̴̢͇̯̫̻̟̀o̶̢̝̍͘͜r̵̢̧̻̪͐̍r̶̛̠̹͌͗o̵̺͊r̶̩̝̄̀ ̉̓̅̃.̸̻̌
Unread 01-27-2019, 11:17 AM

experimental
Unread 01-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Hi Annie ... and all--

First, thanks!

And now, as for guidelines, there's really nothing new: just keep doing what you've been doing because no post here should be able to mess up the site. In other words, you can pretty much post anything (that the site allows you to post) with no adverse consequence to the forums--i.e., short of what a knowledgeable, nefarious hacker might attempt with destructive intent (but which also shouldn't succeed based on all the security safeguards I have in place and have recently updated to harden the server even more than before!).

Still, what else can be done for safeguarding the integrity of posts is really in my court, and I've just done it by increasing the frequency of the daily site backup and imaging. The catch, though, is that while the increased frequency will ensure an even smaller loss of data in the even of an incident, it also: A) puts more load on the server (which might manifest itself in a slower loading of the Eratosphere and other forum-related operations ... but hopefully, it will be negligible enough and not noticeable); and B) it will consume more disk space, filling it up faster (meaning, ultimately paying a higher subscription dues to the server hosting company for a bigger disk space, and for the same reason, to the offsite/external backup company I've recently also signed up for as an additional safeguard).

All in all, though, I believe the character-code problem should now be behind us, as should most of the software incompatibility issues resulting from the post-crash system restoration (although that problem, unfortunately, persists with the Able Muse website proper, and I'm yet to fully figure it out!).

Anyhow, I wish you all, hopefully, a return to the carefree times of a problem-free server--where you can view it as an unobtrusive tool in the background you don't need to worry about ... and all you need think of is the outpouring of your creative talents in your posts and comments!

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 01-28-2019, 06:00 AM

Well done, Alex. As a software writer, I know how frustrating and painfully time-consuming tracking down bugs can be - unless, of course, you're an entomologist.