Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-10-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rainbow View Post
If Sweden and Belarus get through this in reasonably good shape, without having shut almost everything down, it will be a clear indicator that our countries went too far, acting on hysteria and resorting to authoritarianism instead of reasonability and responsibility.
I sincerely hope you don't murder anybody by acting on this belief.
Unread 04-10-2020, 06:08 PM

You mean this Sweden: https://twitter.com/shadihamid/statu...64536078483462
Unread 04-10-2020, 11:02 PM

Belarus is, ahem, not the best poster child for what not "resorting to authoritarianism" looks like.

Whatever data its dictator allows to slip out about the seriousness of coronavirus in his country--after he's insisted for weeks that it's nothing to worry about, and can be cured by vodka, saunas, and riding around on tractors (I am not making this up)--is unlikely to be reliable information.

Then again, maybe it will be a clear indicator of the healing properties of vodka, saunas, and riding around on tractors, and will revolutionize healthcare around the world.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 04-10-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Unread 04-11-2020, 05:44 AM

x
Kevin, don't forget Myanmar. They must be doing something right, too.

I don't, for a millisecond, believe Trump feels any differently than the dic of Belarus.
Our only shield from such perverted thinking is our democratic institutions (as marred as they are). His hands, though not yet tied, are tiny and fumbling and jittery and faltering in the face of his own narcissistic shortcomings, inadequacies, etc. He's being dope-slapped by scientists left and right. His hair is slowly being mussed.

If Trump was handling our country like it was his company he'd be raping us. We'd all be expendable commodities he'd use as negotiating chips to get only what he wants and what's good for him. He'd gladly run us into our graves and bankrupt the country and walk away surrounded by his legal team and billions. That's called winning in his book. What he's really thinking is exactly what the Belarusian dictator is saying. Yes, I'm saying he's lying. Thank God for that.
What a world, what a world, what a world...
x
x
Unread 04-11-2020, 07:10 AM

Yeah Rainbow Guy! End the hysteria. Let’s start with opening back up the important places as a test. Trump rallies for starters. Pack in all those voices of reason and responsibility good and close. Free malaria drugs at the gates. All you can eat. I like your vision here. Capital Uber Alles! Arbernheit Macht Frei!
Unread 07-07-2020, 11:45 AM

Is there a repository somewhere gathering irresponsible responses to the pandemic by elected leaders? (Here in the U.S., they will soon be bragging about how hard they worked to keep their constituents safe, so it will be useful to have at hand things they actually did and said.)
Unread 07-07-2020, 12:27 PM

It's a bit like that hilarious phrase: "Give me corona virus or give me death!"

Still, I'd rather drink Vodka than bleach.