Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-26-2019, 11:35 AM

But it's retrospective, that's what intriguing me. Posts I know to have been "normal" have become latterly embuggered.

We even have a member called Małgorzata Golabek, who joined in 1970, but when you click on him, he doesn't exist, so I can't read his 8 posts.
Unread 01-26-2019, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Apologies to everyone for this buggy behavior of the site. The problem is that when the server was reloaded by the server company's tech, it was with an older version of most of the secondary server functions and low-level programs--all of which I had updated before the crash. The issue is that I can't quite replicate that previous environment ... and even when I think I have, a lot of incompatibility issues between the server programs and the forum software keep popping up! It's not even confined to Eratosphere because I'd also found out the all the third-level pages of Able Muse are now loading as blanks, and that's been difficult to figure out and resolve.

However, the Eratosphere issues should be resolved now. So, this is a note to everyone who'd experienced the aberrant site behavior to check again and make sure everything that appeared broken before is back to normal (i.e., I need all of you to test and report back since I can't really replicate the error situations you've reported). And if there are still problems, do report them here (or PM me).

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 01-26-2019, 12:15 PM

As requested, Alex. All the D&A problems are still there, Nemo's poem on Met that was badly affected has now disappeared altogether and post no.2 on Allen's non-met thread is still well weird. And our mysterious member is still... mysterious.

(Sorry, the phone rang and I submitted instead of previewing...)

But compared to what's happened lately, this is small beer and I'm glad it's not external interference. Thanks, Alex and good luck.

Last edited by Ann Drysdale; 01-26-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: premature ejaculation.
Unread 01-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Thanks Alex, it's all working fine now.
Unread 01-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the report, Annie and Matt. It's good the issues you detected are resolved now, Matt. But, Annie, I'm still trying to resolve the issue with that member whose posts you reported as disappeared. Do you see any progress there?

Thanks,
...Alex
Unread 01-26-2019, 01:42 PM

In Met, only the first stanza of Nemo's recent poem ("Every House Is A Ship") is showing. Whatever occurred on the site wiped out two stanzas.

Richard
Unread 01-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Hi Alex,

One other thing I'd noticed is that I no longer get email notifications on subscribed threads. The last time I got one was 22nd December. Oddly I still get email notifications of PMs.

Not a big deal, but I just thought I'd flag it up. I haven't changed my settings. And I've just checked and I still have "instant email notification" selected.

best,

Matt
Unread 01-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Just been down to the shop for late-night grocery bargains, came back and had a check round. The D&A weirdnesses are all gone, as is the bizarre reply on Allen's thread in non-met.

Nemo's poem is still not back in Met - perhaps he tried to edit out the corruptions? Also the mysterious member (3rd name down on the eleventh page of the M's) still has a slight oddness in that the first "a" in his name appears to be "cubed", though most of the weird characters have gone (both there and in my post where I quoted them!)

But so much has now been put right that (thank you!) that perhaps our old friend from Berlin will forgive his unexpected adventure. (His profile and "statistics" appear but his posts still can't be found).
Unread 01-26-2019, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update, Annie. I took a look and Nemo's post is on Met, though. Maybe, you need to reload the page in your browser? Try and let me know. As for that weird second character in the member's name, I'm not sure if it's always been like that or if it's an artifact of all the new character code issues. But the profile is back in view even if the posts aren't (and that may also be because they've all been pruned over the years).

OK looking forward to your update on Nemo's post visibility from your end.

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 01-26-2019, 02:46 PM

I can still only see the title and the first three lines.