Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-26-2019, 02:56 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

Impressively balanced and intelligent article.
Unread 09-26-2019, 04:45 PM

I'm not sure why you'd call it "balanced," since it strikes me as entirely one-sided. This is not to say it is wrong, but there's no "on the one hand" and "on the other hand" sense one takes away from it.
Unread 09-27-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
An opinion piece in the New York Times.
"Tuesday’s decision... was reminiscent of Bush v. Gore"? Really? Bush v. Gore was a partisan 5-4 ruling, with the conservatives outnumbering the liberals. This decision was unanimous.
Unread 09-27-2019, 01:55 AM

What Max said. The op ed also remarks that many “entertainers “ and such like want to stop Brexit. Funny, I had the impression that a majority of U.K. citizens would now like to stop it. I suspect the op ed writer may find that data point inconvenient, much as they find echoes of Bush v. Gore, weirdly, in a unanimous decision. Perhaps balanced is precisely the mot juste, since it’s the famous motto of Fox News.

Cheers,
John
Unread 09-27-2019, 03:41 AM

Many of us have been enjoying the thought "Never mind, Boris - you can still refer it to the European Court of Justice."

But it isn't funny. Not any more.

Listening to Boris in Parliament I feel he knows exactly what he is doing. He is arming his fan-base with soundbites. If he should be thwarted in his attempt to "do Brexit", I have a deep fear that great numbers of less well-informed Leave voters would react violently, even at a local level. They have been primed by elements of the tabloid press. It would only take a spark.

That was a factor, I believe, that Corbyn was taking into consideration with his proposal, which includes further negotiation and a second referendum. It implies respect for the electorate. It would still give the Leavers an equal voice and the Remainers, even if outvoted, the consolation of leaving with an honestly-negotiated deal. Otherwise "Bella, horrida bella, et Sabrinam multo spumantem sanguine cerno".
Unread 09-27-2019, 04:39 AM

Ditto over here, where Trump has threatened publicly and explicitly that there will be violence if he is impeached. How vile is that. It seems to be the new playbook. These demagogic politicians are to my mind quite clearly a cancer on the body politic. For Trump, I believe the remedy is prison.

Cheers,
John