Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-10-2021, 01:28 PM

By the way, Fliss, I love your poem about the alpaca farm!
Unread 12-11-2021, 11:34 AM

Thanks, Martin; here's another photo, after the meet 'n' greet. Jo opened the barn's main gate and the alpacas trotted off to their field...

Gov isn't doing too well at the moment. You might have caught some of the media furore re. various members rulebreaking last Christmas; summary by the Beeb's Reality Check here.

All rather painful for those of us who abided by the rules. I didn't see my older brother, but we waved at each other through a window; later I wrote a poem about it. I wasn't well at the time, so the poem isn't particularly good, but it was the first I'd written for a long time due to illness.

Wave-time

Bro. G. texts progress – 'Setting off' at 4,
midway or so announces 'Park cafe',
then 'Garden', lastly Bzzz! and that's the door,
my intercom, which has a waspish way;

outside the door the gift exchange takes place –
he's brought a dozen bottles, box of chocs,
receives a hardback book on outer space,
a woolly jumper, vouchers, shortbread, socks;

there's conversation through the cotton masks,
with Mum and Dad and younger brother too,
of weather, walks and work, and festive tasks,
I wait inside, with 'Garden' as my cue;

it comes, I 'Window', wave-time for a while,
I hope, behind his mask, he wears a smile.

- - -
Graham is strangely strong, so walking from Central Cheltenham to uppermost Pittville with six bottles of wine per arm and other items wasn't a strain for him, fortunately!

🍷🍷🍷
Unread 12-11-2021, 07:00 PM

I like that Christmas poem, Fliss. It's charming. I wish I knew all the shorthand words you know. I'm envious of your vocabulary. That was quite a hike your brother took up the hill to Pittville and having to carry all those things. I'm glad he didn't get a hernia.

I read a bit of the BBC news article. It's flabbergasting!

I like the picture of the alpacas running to their field. They're on a mission and they look cute.
Unread 12-12-2021, 02:28 PM

Thanks, Martin; I'm pleased you like the poem. I don't really know a lot of shorthand, though; I just make things up and hope for the best, lol. It was indeed quite a hike; and Graham was wearing a lot of layers too.

I don't think anything in politics surprises me any more. Today it emerged that BoJo attended a Christmas quiz; story here.

The alpacas were delightful throughout the visit. Jo invited us to come back and see the babies next year, which would be brilliant. Highly recommend alpaca experiences, if there are any farms near you
Unread 01-03-2022, 11:57 AM

Guinea the First

His breakfast banquet lies in wait
while Majesty, it seems, sleeps late
beneath his regal gold duvet,
a farm-fresh brush of meadow hay.

We subjects loiter, watch his door,
pile star-cut treats on sawn-pine floor,
return to place with careful tread
within his splendid palace-shed.

One minute more, a shy face peeps;
George crawls towards his salad heaps,
in Dutch-marked gown, jet black and white,
which shimmers in the winter light.

His eyes shine gladly for his meal,
teeth clasp a carrot slice with zeal;
all Christmas, church choirs urge, 'Rejoice!',
but we prefer our guinea's voice.

Contest winner
Unread 01-03-2022, 06:20 PM

Congrats, Fliss! I enjoyed the poem. It's cute, has nice imagery and narrative along with nice touches of humor, especially in the last line. Did you know that Guinea Pigs (plus fruit bats, capybaras, some reptiles, and many primates, including humans) cannot manufacture their own vitamin C? So they need to get it from their diet.

Last edited by Martin Elster; 01-03-2022 at 06:25 PM.
Unread 01-04-2022, 02:30 PM

Thanks, Martin; Ghost of George and I are glad you enjoyed it and we wish you well with contest no. 373 (I forgot to enter, lol). I'm afraid George had a rather sad end; I might write about that some time, perhaps as a prose piece. I've been encouraged by various persons in Winchcombe to continue with the guinea pig stories I started during my convalescence about a year ago. Dear guineas.

Yes, I did know that about guineas, having been involved in their care for well over three decades. Did you know that there's a section of the orchestra known as the percussion section? 😂

Bw,
Fliss
Unread 01-04-2022, 05:56 PM

Fliss, I'm sorry to hear about the demise of George. I hope a cat didn't nab him or something. I'm not sure I want to hear about the gruesome details, but if you happen to write a prose piece, I'd be interested in reading it.

Quote:
Yes, I did know that about guineas, having been involved in their care for well over three decades. Did you know that there's a section of the orchestra known as the percussion section? ��
Very funny! But even experts don't necessarily know all there is about their topic, right? I, for one, am sure there are rare or exotic percussion instruments in the world that I've never even heard of (or heard) much less seen or played. And there are undoubtedly aspects of percussion history I'm not familiar with. Anyway, I had a feeling you knew about the vitamin C story. I just found that nutritional factoid interesting, so I thought I'd share it, as other folks may also find it interesting. I've been listening lately to audiobooks about evolution, and the inability to produce one's own vitamin C is definitely a byproduct of natural selection.

By the way, thanks for wishing me well with the contest. That's encouraging (especially since I haven't had much luck their the last several weeks)!

Last edited by Martin Elster; 01-07-2022 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Unread 01-05-2022, 12:13 PM

Thanks, Martin; no, not a cat, a fox. Work's a bit crazy at the moment, but I might be able to take time for writing this weekend.

Gheorge (Ghost of George) says he knows all there is to know about carrots; I'm not inclined to challenge him. My dad has a collection of exotic instruments, as it happens, although most of them are falling apart a bit. I think he bought them in Morocco.

I've been surprised by some of the poems chosen as winners since joining in for the contests. And one of the members has become rather intense, let's say, so I'll probably leave it until Sunday night to rush in, post a poem, rush out again, lol.
Unread 01-07-2022, 12:08 PM

Fliss - Yes, I'm sure the ghost of George knows all there is to know about carrots. And probably every other vegetable on Earth.

So your dad collected exotic instruments? That's great. Speaking of exotic instruments, when I was 13 years old, my mother, brother, and I visited Israel during the summer. One day we stopped at an Arab town where children were selling little drums made of wood and camel hide (including the hair). We were interested in the drums. My brother, who was 11 years old, didn't like the price. So the kid said, OK, instead of $10 I'll give it to you for $5. D (my brother) still said "No." So the kid said, "OK, $3." (I don't remember the exact figures.) D shook his head "No" again. After some more negotiating, the kid finally said "OK, you can have it for free!"

I think I know what you mean about the winning poems. By the way, I just got an email that the poem I entered last week won. So my luck has changed again.

Last edited by Martin Elster; 01-07-2022 at 12:18 PM.