Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Distinguished Guest

My good news: I have spent my entire morning addressing W-9 forms for funds from writing -- an appearance at Tulane University in a few more days, my review coming out in "First Things," placements for Timothy Murphy, coming in for my office as his literary executor, etc.

It has been a beautiful, successful day, so far

J
Unread 10-01-2018, 10:24 AM

I sold or gave away all my copies of "Just So You Know." I ordered another batch. Probably should have quit while I was ahead, but every poet needs a supply of books on hand for his heirs to dispose of.
Unread 10-01-2018, 09:20 PM

It could be worse, Ed. As I recall, Thoreau's first book, A Week, left him with 700 unsold or gifted books! Some of my own leftovers keep a table and bookcase even and serve as coasters for my Tanq and Tonic.
Unread 10-01-2018, 10:41 PM

What is the most books any of you have ever sold (or disposed of). Post it here as your GOOD NEWS and my Bad News.
Unread 10-02-2018, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Although I think you mean "in total", Ed... I once did a reading at which I sold twenty-two books!

Jayne
Unread 10-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
Although I think you mean "in total", Ed... I once did a reading at which I sold twenty-two books!

Jayne
That's impressive, Jayne. I imagine most books are sold through readings. I have to get out more.
Unread 10-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Default Jayne Osborn is a saint

Whoop-de-do, I kinda love you, Jayne Osborn. What's up? Jayne was pointed out to me by an expatriate UK spherean living in the US as a possible helper in a task I thought was impossible. That task was to get ahold (NOW!) of information on three pages of a rare Italian book on Roman consuls that doesn't exist in any US library according to World Cat, and isn't for sale anywhere for any practical purposes. It's almost as rare as green penguins even in the UK, and it is now 71years old, published in that year 1947. Without much hope I'd tentatively asked a small handful of sphereans to see if they could nip into one of the relatively few European libraries where it exists, and -- without batting an eye -- Jayne jumped into her 12 cylinder 800 HP Maserati, drove speedily and cautiously to one of those awesome university libraries somewhere in England, waved her credentials, swooped to the upper vaults, photoed those pages, the title page, and for good measure its spine, and effortlessly (almost) emailed me the pictures, which I am digesting for immediate use next week at a synod of classicists in another US state. I will reimburse her for jet fuel and incidentals.
Thank You, Jayne!
Unread 10-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Administrator

It was a pleasure to accept the challenge, Allen, and I'm delighted that I was able to help you.
I felt like an MI5 agent hunting down a secret document, with all the security checks I had to undergo!

The other thread about me was a lovely gesture. Thank you. I'll go and post something there too.

Jayne
Unread 10-31-2018, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Just got back from the cinema, having seen Bohemian Rhapsody.

It is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Rami Malek's performance as Freddie Mercury blew me away - and Gwilym Lee is more like Brian May than Brian May is!

I'm a big Queen fan, always have been, but this film is simply breathtaking, with its skilful acting and portrayal of the band's rise to worldwide fame.
(I've just read a few lukewarm reviews by film critics, but I loved every minute of it!)

Jayne

Over to the Movies thread...
Unread 03-23-2019, 12:11 PM

We don’t yet have a Ballet Thread. Nevertheless, last night my spouse and I saw a performance at New York city’s City Center for a precisionist synchronized swimming revival of George Balanchine and Rodgers & Hart’s “I Married An Angel,” whose humorous ensemble performances were better than clockwork, and whose prima ballerina exhibition of her toe dancing, angel gestures, and ground level flying were impossible to differentiate from flawless, as well as light-hearted. (Just kidding about the “swimming”! No water was involved anywhere!). Her name is Sara Mearns, and she is married to the Director and Choreographer, Joshua Bergasse. (Balanchine married his prima ballerina, Vera Zorina, onstage at the New Year’s Eve performance of 1938 - alas, perhaps, she was not his only wife.) Anyway, Milady Mearns seemed to so enjoy being impossibly adept and clever at her metier that she brought to mind impossibly adept and clever performances wherever these appear.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 03-23-2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo on my shirt-pocket sized iPod that I often use
Closed Thread