Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-15-2017, 05:48 AM

Robert Francis's appended definitions ("deasil: from east to west") mislead a bit, as David notes. Cf. this online Irish dictionary: "Right-handed, left-handed, screw: scriú deisil, tuathail." The OED spells it deasil.
He's closer on widdershins, which it spells withershins and which is not left-handed. This online definition will do: "in a direction contrary to the sun's course, considered as unlucky; counterclockwise."
The OED lacks cancrizans: "A musical line which is the reverse of a previously or simultaneously stated line is said to be its retrograde or cancrizans".

Brian, all I know is that Monet painted nympheas. Nenuphars I see are similar but distinct, like a mouette and a goeland.

Cheers,
John

P.S. Aaron, that is a wild ride. The word apricot has a great history as well, from the Latin praecox via the Arabic before returning to Romance.
Update: here's a brief online summary - "mid 16th century: from Portuguese albricoque or Spanish albaricoque, from Spanish Arabic al ‘the’ + barḳūḳ (from late Greek praikokion, from Latin praecoquum, variant of praecox ‘early ripe’); influenced by Latin apricus ‘ripe’ and by French abricot ."

Last edited by John Isbell; 04-15-2017 at 06:01 AM. Reason: apricot
Unread 04-15-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Callin View Post
Thank you for that link, Aaron. I read the poem, and enjoyed it. What depth of reading does it require to be able to reference that at will? (A rhetorical question, although you can answer it if you wish.)

And what about cancrizans, which is utterly new to me? I'll cheat. I'll Google it right now.

Cheers

David
Talk about serendipity! I clicked, read, scrolled, and whammo: the coolest line I've seen in years (which I've probably read twenty times but have forgotten):

God slays himself with every leaf that flies - E.A. Robinson
Unread 04-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Isbell View Post
P.S. Aaron, that is a wild ride. The word apricot has a great history as well, from the Latin praecox via the Arabic before returning to Romance.
Update: here's a brief online summary - "mid 16th century: from Portuguese albricoque or Spanish albaricoque, from Spanish Arabic al ‘the’ + barḳūḳ (from late Greek praikokion, from Latin praecoquum, variant of praecox ‘early ripe’); influenced by Latin apricus ‘ripe’ and by French abricot ."
I just posted a verse from Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" that contained the word 'apricot'. Is that why you suddenly thunk of apricot? Or, no, that's not it. You're just a sprite and I'm the only being in the universe. No, I AM the universe...

My semi-favorite words:

Palimpsest - used it lots
Opulent - used it lots
Galumph - used it a few times
Flotilla - used it lots
Architrave - used it twice
Teraphim - used it once
Flocculent - used it once

My favorite words are ones I made up, "which I shall not utter here".

Stole that from Mithrandir, another cool word.^
Unread 04-16-2017, 02:00 AM

Hi Bill,

Mithrandir also says "Speak, friend, and enter."
I have a little poem called "Apricot". My wife is fond of them. But I also noted the word's presence in "You're So Vain."
I like your list of favorite words.

Cheers,
John
Unread 04-16-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Isbell View Post
Hi Bill,

Mithrandir also says "Speak, friend, and enter."
I have a little poem called "Apricot". My wife is fond of them. But I also noted the word's presence in "You're So Vain."
I like your list of favorite words.

Cheers,
John
Bliss.

Need more characters...