Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Default Armageddon anyone?

Is anyone penning a few lines on far away places of which Donald knows damn all? - and whether Bolton will make a difference? - and whether we will ever get to know?
May appears to be wrapping herself in Blair's self-righteous shroud, from which he has just escaped to counsel the need for more deaths - and the witless 'Opposition' appear not a whit brighter.
Any thoughts on the verse form for the final days? - or has poetry nothing to say?
Here, daily struggling with translating 13th century warfare, my contemporary Muse has fallen chokingly silent. How are yours?
Unread 04-11-2018, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Nigel,

I've moved this from GT, as our own poems aren't allowed on that board, but anyone can freely post here.

The title will certainly draw attention, ...and some poems, I hope!

Jayne
Unread 04-11-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Mace View Post
Armageddon anyone?
Equip elderly
professor for last battle.
Ten letters, across.
Unread 04-11-2018, 07:32 PM

War

Why jot a verse about this word
on a blank page as pale as death
and hope it ceases to be heard?
Why jot a verse about this word,
recall a dove’s song, now unheard,
by a bird bereft of breath?
Why jot a verse about this word
on a blank page as pale as death?

Last edited by RCL; 04-17-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: New and improved; newer and more improved; pale for white
Unread 04-12-2018, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the elderly, Nicholas😉 Perhaps age is part of the problem. What recollection, if any, does Trump have of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
I'm rather sorry Jayne moved this thread. I was actually looking more for discussion rather than just (?) a black/gallows humour fest..... But I suppose either might be interesting - at least, for a while.
Perhaps the topic might be allowed to run on both boards? - not least as they have significantly different 'audiences' who might participate.
Unread 04-12-2018, 03:11 AM

I'm trying to find the GT thread where we discussed the possible spin-offs from the election of the implausible POTUS. I remember doing a Cassandra on it and being "there, there, dear"ed.

I recall refraining from Sybilline visions of blood-foaming, but now I call upon the goddess Itys to witness that I did try.
Unread 04-12-2018, 03:30 AM

I remember, Ann.

Apart from any new poems wrung from the scary present, I'm also finding 'other men's flowers' running through my head.

Seriously, Larkin's Next Please and comically Lister's The Owlet and the Gamekeeper. Less jovially his New Worlds for Old or, rather obviously, The Field of Dynamite.

What are you recalling?
Unread 04-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Nigel,
I can move this thread back to General Talk if you wish, but Nico's haiku and Ralph's triolet would have to be deleted, which would be a shame... and no other poems could be posted there.

There's no reason why poems and a discussion can't appear here, but I don't think that the same subject on two boards will work very well.

I moved the thread here because I thought you were inviting people to post their verses on the topic, and I apologise if I misread your intent. Let me know if you'd like me to move it back to GT, and I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Jayne
Unread 04-12-2018, 01:09 PM

No - Jayne, thank you for the thought. I understood your intention which was an entirely reasonable reading of my post - so don't move it back.

My point about the title - or something near it - being on GT as well/in addition is that it has a rather different and wider audience, but I'm happy it can rest as is.

I appreciate Nicholas and Ralph contributions very much, a nice mix of humour and despair, and will be interested to see more reflections - poetic and otherwsie - as well as hearing what poetry these dark-shadowed days turn people's minds to. You'd kind of expect poets to have lines/verses that would haunt them.
Unread 04-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Just to be alarming, my newsfeed this morning had a headline about Russia preparing for nuclear war.

Cheers,
John