Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-01-2019, 12:46 AM

Hi Julie,

Yes, I agree that for centuries, black has been much worn by Mediterranean women who lost basically any family member, and for the rest of their lives. However, I don't think Rilke is picturing his sibyl in the Christian era to begin with. The term sibyl is heavily freighted with Classical weight, is about the best argument I can provide. Rilke would have to do violence to that tradition to resituate her. OTOH, his conception of what qualifies as ausgebrannt where skin is concerned might not correlate entirely with our own. That is my little point. I don't think it likely that ausgebrannt refers here to clothing.

Cheers, good discussion,
John
Unread 09-02-2019, 09:00 AM

Julie, "schwarz" can mean "black" or "dark." I chose "as blackened as" partly for the rhythm and partly to imply that she did not start out that color. I am trying to think of an alternative, but so far, nothing has occurred to me. I do not think we should see the sibyl as demented, but as possessed by the spirit of prophecy, which forces her to shout out her predictions against her will. And I definitely think that this poem is set in the ancient world, not in the Christian world, so modern images of Mediterranean dress are not relevant. What she is wearing is not specified. I do think Rilke implies that she looks crazed, but the prophecies were taken seriously in ancient times.

Susan
Unread 09-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Thanks, Susan and John! You two are amazingly patient with my combination of stubbornness and ignorance. I really appreciate your taking the time to set me straight in such an enjoyable way.