Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-07-2019, 10:21 AM

x
Yes, apply pressure where pressure is needed, keep the watchdogs busy (there's so much that stinks about politics -- gerrymandering, monetizing campaigns, special interest groups that do little more than protect the corporations, and on and on).

Yes, half the people who vote are ignorant (not in the pejorative sense but by strict definition). But that comes with the territory. What did Churchill say (quoting a predecessor)? "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…" Someone, too, said that the difference between democracy and all other forms of government is that it has the ability to re-form itself. I agree.

Yes, he may go down before the election. Though to be impeached will likely just inflame his base and push us closer to the cliff -- or get him re-elected! He may be convicted... That would be nice. We may get to see his tax returns for the past eight years and that would blow the roof off the tent of the deplorables (I think). He will not resign, IMO. To do that would be to lose and he is a winner. (Maybe someone more persuasive than I could tell him losing is winning?) I'd be happy to see him bound and gagged in litigation for the rest of his life. Let what he's done come back to hound him forever.

Who is the better candidate? Yes, anyone but Trump -- but who? At this point I'd like to see a Warren / Buttigieg.

But keep the reasoned, dialog-driven people in the room. They are the oxygen.
x
x
Unread 10-09-2019, 02:06 AM

So there’s a Facebook website out there called Trump Was Chosen by God that invites comments but when they are critical of Trump, it replies to them with more praise of Trump and deletes the critical comment. This I think is the mindset of a non-negligible portion of the GOP base. I’ll just recall that 85% of white Alabama evangelicals voted for Roy Moore.
What happened to American white evangelicals?

Cheers,
John
Unread 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM

Sorry to bump this up. Kind of. I've heard some anti-jubilant talk regarding Trump being impeached. Short-term and long-term, I don't see a downside. I've got popcorn, good cheese, and cold cuts. Rye, and Colman's mustard, of course.

Added:
Trump won't be removed from office. But it's important to get things on record. I want this documented. This should scare the life out of any, hmm, regular human being.

Last edited by James Brancheau; 11-01-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Unread 11-02-2019, 05:16 AM

Just to say that this totally wasn't a drug deal. Just because one guy handed over some cash, and the other one gave him cocaine, totally does not make this a drug deal that went down. And plus, Hillary Clinton had an email address.

Cheers,
John
Unread 11-02-2019, 03:15 PM

I'm kind of surprised no one high-fived me on the Colman's. Mustard is among the most important condiments.

Added: I'm not particularly fond of the media focusing on how impeachment is a political process. I suppose Trump does have to shoot someone. He was holding up almost a half of a billion dollars in military aid, for his personal benefit. No where close to as serious as lying about a blow-job, but come on.

Last edited by James Brancheau; 11-02-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Unread 11-02-2019, 08:30 PM

James, your Colman's remark couldn't help but remind me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6WADh8vk3A

Cheers,
John
Unread 11-02-2019, 09:25 PM

Oh God no, John- really? I like a mustard that really gets up your nose. GP whole other thing- but, hahaha, yeah, I remember those commercials. How many times has that been spoofed?

Last edited by James Brancheau; 11-03-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Unread 11-03-2019, 02:49 AM

Yup, what a very 1980s commercial. I feel like SNL did something with it. Anyway, I agree, mustard deserves to have bite. And rye with Grey Poupon would make no sense at all.

Cheers,
John

Update. I think it was Wayne's World I had in mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xomArI4aJ0

Last edited by John Isbell; 11-03-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Unread 11-03-2019, 07:32 AM

x
Mustard? Hopefully taking the impeachment hearings public will be akin to the baseball aphorism of putting “some mustard on it". Let's hope, anyway.

I don’t use mustard that much anymore. But thanks to this conversation I might start again. (It’s actually quite good for you.) Once, in my impoverished years abroad, it was a meal in and of itself. The hottest mustard I've ever encountered was an English mustard served at The Lass in Richmond Surrey. A daily supper for me was a scotch egg (they had a nest of them in a big bowl on the bar) served with a side of English mustard for dipping and eaten like an apple, then washed down with a couple pints of Guinness and embalmed with a couple of Gauloise. I remember exiting at closing time (10:30 pm) and crossing the street in a fog of smoke and fire to get back on campus. Life was good. And if it had ended right then and there (when crossing the street) I’d have died happy, full-bellied, teary-eyed, penniless but rich with contentment. English mustard that I know goes up the nose continues into the eyes. Of course, many hot mustards do the same, but I always thought that the heat in English mustard was ironically "in your face" when the English are anything but.
But back to the beginning…
x
x
Unread 11-03-2019, 07:56 AM

The UK has some foods with perhaps unexpected bite: Marmite, marmalade. Some of these get watered down across the Pond.
That’s a nice memory, Jim. Thanks for sharing. But hey, if you want proper Guinness, visit Ireland ...

Cheers,
John