Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-06-2018, 12:50 PM

Question Hidden posts in threads

Hello all,
I am still posting as a new member and learning the Eratospheric ins and outs.
I've noticed that when I've posted public responses to a thread, I'll scroll down to review the past posts and notice some that I cannot see in the main viewing windows. I don't know what these are or how to view them outside of opening the "Post Reply" window. I've tried to post a "Quick Reply" to someone, but then could not see my response to them. I don't know if it actually posted.
I've looked through the FAQs on posting, but could not figure out what the differences were. Could someone kindly explain how to view the "hidden" posts without clicking the "Post Reply" button?
Thanks in advance.
Unread 10-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Hi J.B,

Welcome to the arcane world of the sphere and all that. Is it just that you need to click onto the next page of replies down at the bottom right of the thread? Hmm. I've never used the 'quick reply' thing. I don't understand its purpose so instinctively mistrust it.

Can anyone be more helpful than this?

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 10-06-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Unread 10-06-2018, 03:00 PM

"Quick reply" never worked for me, and the regular method of replying is quite quick enough. So just ignore "quick reply."

When you post, your post generally shows up at the end of the thread, not the top, although there may be an option in your settings to reverse the order.
When I post, it always shows up at the end, so there's nothing to "scroll down" to unless and until someone posts after me. (Only the "Topic Review" which appears under the posting window when you are in the process of replying is displayed newest first).
Unread 10-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Administrator

A big welcome to the Sphere, J.B.
You don't have to divulge your first name, of course, but it's nice to know whether a member is male or female, if nothing else. But then, with all the gender options there are these days... (OK, let's not go there... it's not important! )

You raise an interesting question. I always use the ''Quick reply to this message'' box, but then, my screen is different from that of the members, I've come to realise. (Don't be fooled by ''Administrator"; it's Alex Pepple who owns and runs this site; I just assist with the day-to-day running of it, from across The Pond too, but the hi-tech stuff is all down to Alex!)

As you can see, we're a friendly bunch, and members like Roger and Mark will come to the aid of new members, and so will I. The best advice I can give is to just explore the site and get a feel for how things work; you'll soon get the hang of it I'm sure. The Mods are also on hand to help, so feel free to PM any of us if you have any further problems.

Jayne
Unread 10-06-2018, 06:09 PM

Default Hidden posts in threads

Hello Jayne, Roger and Mark,
Thanks for your responses. I might very well have missed the "second page" button, but am glad that someone else is confused by the "Quick Reply" as I am. I tried to respond to Ann Drysdale to tell her that I loved her poem "Assistant Wanted" but I don't think the response was posted.
Unread 10-07-2018, 03:35 AM

Consider it received, JB, even though it doesn't seem to have been posted. Thank you.
Unread 10-07-2018, 11:06 AM

I'm sorry, Ann, but if it hasn't been posted it doesn't count on your record when you meet the Big Critic.
Unread 10-08-2018, 12:56 PM

I've never used Quick Reply, just Post Reply, as in this one ...
Unread 10-08-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall View Post
Hello all,
I am still posting as a new member and learning the Eratospheric ins and outs.
... or "Quote", as in this one. I'm not sure what you mean by "hidden posts", although they may be so well hidden that I've never noticed that I'm not seeing them.