Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-26-2018, 04:31 AM

Just a small note of correction for Jim. By the "Highlands of England", I presume you meant the Highlands which are one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland - and in large parts of which, thanks to to the insane nuclear policies of successive English dominated Westminster Governments, you would merely find yourself in one of the most densely populated nuclear targets in western Europe. We are - until we win the next independence referendum - saddled with the so-called 'British' (actually American) nuclear 'deterrent' in the shape of its Faslane nuclear/Trident armed submarine base and its attendant stockpiles buried in the mountains behind it. All this is less than 35 miles from the centre of our largest city and my original home, Glasgow. The immediate carnage would be immense and the shadow of its nuclear fallout would, at the same moment, also poison most of the south western Highlands including all the Inner Hebrides, including the isle of Skye and the whole of Argyll and Bute. So - no shelter here, I'm afraid.

On the topic, Bolton's appointment is utterly insane - and the world has just become much more unstable and endangered.

Plus all that Julie says in her second post - including Tom Lehrer as an optimist!
Unread 03-26-2018, 02:42 PM

Nigel, I didn't know that the Scottish Highlands were under such a pall. My sincere apologies for my homeland's arrogance and lack of reverence for beauty.
In any event, I was mistaken. I was referring to the Northumberland region of England, where I spent one Christmas and New Year holiday with a friend. Somewhere near Yorkshire I think. I thought I remembered her referring to it as the highlands.
x
Unread 03-26-2018, 05:08 PM

No worries, Jim - at least not of the non-nuclear kind. I live part of the time in Yorkshire and the worst we have here is the nuclear early warning and electronic spy centre up on the dales at Fylingdales. So, that more or less rules out this patch too.... and most points west. Maybe the Northumberland moors and Otterburn forest might last a bit longer - depending on the winds - so your recollection could be a better guide after all. Army camps and training grounds. Funny to think of those old battlefields as refuges - 'Flodden for Safety' somehow lacks a convincing ring to it.