Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-02-2016, 09:03 AM

Default The Statue of Love

Tamar Kvesitadze's 7 ton moving sculpture.
I just love this because, for one thing, technology is so sexy. When it's wrapped up in tradition that's even better. Doesn't it have a wink at coo-coo clocks and automata of the past? Secondly, isn't this just how love is?

https://youtu.be/3ds9fE0tnzE
Unread 06-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Sharon —

Fascinating.

The slowness of the motion adds to the dramatic tension.

Another view here, shot in time lapse photography, gives some idea as to how it is possible for the figures to appear to pass through each other. The woman, for instance, appears to be supported only on her left foot.

One interpretation of love is union. Here, as elsewhere, it is temporary.

— Woody

Last edited by Woody Long; 06-02-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Unread 06-03-2016, 01:08 AM

But in both versions, viewer perception is encroached-upon by bonging music. Is this another application of the term "mixed media"?

I tried muting the music and the thing the image "said" felt even more profoundly depressing. It's Andy Warhol's fifteen minutes. It's Hollywood promiscuity. It's bodily perfection exploited. It's clever but it's so very cold.
Unread 06-03-2016, 07:09 AM

Yes, it's really clever - for about seven-and-a-half-minutes. If I had to live somewhere where those things were illuminated and did their dance every night, while that turgid music churned, I'd buy the world's largest cuckoo clock and have it placed and timed to scream "CUCKOO" during the performance. And if I couldn't accord the clock, or the Ministry of Schlock prohibited it, I'd shoot myself. Or find a mountain and live on the other side of it.
Unread 06-03-2016, 11:27 PM

I don't think it's that bad, but I admit that my local point of reference is pretty low.

I did notice on the time lapse video that the moving parts seemed to slow waaaaayyyy down as they passed through each other. That made me wonder if both videos were justaposing soundtracks so that we wouldn't have to hear the screams of scraping metal as the two figures moved through each other. Shudder.

The horizontal stripes of metal reminded me a bit of this kinetic sculpture. (The video is silent. Again, I'm not sure I want to hear the friction of the moving parts.)

Thanks for sharing this, Sharon.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 06-03-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Unread 06-04-2016, 08:14 AM

Ummm...I simply assumed that they were about twenty feet tall, ten feet apart and mounted firmly to a circular base that rotates slowly on command (7 PM each day) while the light show commences, Georgian air force jets pass overhead, the Mayor swallow a lamb pilaf and removes the flags of all nations from his mouth, and - depending where you are on the perimeter of the circle - the statues eventually appear to pass through each other. Donald Trump does a similar maneuver regularly, and I find the Georgian one far less threatening.
Unread 06-04-2016, 08:19 AM

Yes, I agree about the music. I played it muted too.

I also agree that if I had to watch this every night it would drive me bonkers, the amazing David Cerny, Kafka sculpture too. (thanks for posting it Julie) Luckily, we can watch it once and move on to cat videos or flash mobs.

I hope it doesn't grind. The idea that they never really touch each other is part of the point.

I'm just giggling right now about "Unconditional Surrender" because it holds a special place in my heart. Several years ago I was going down N Harbor Dr. past the Midway. Through the trees I spied the back of the nurse's heel, that's all, just this back of a heel, and I knew instantly that it was about Victor Jorgensen's famous photo. The flash of recognition felt good, as if I were Sherlock. The real slap that real nurse gave the sailor might have felt good too. The masher!
Unread 06-04-2016, 08:52 AM

More of Tamara's works from the 2011 Venice Biennale - cheesy music alert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJlOpGYVqoQ