Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-16-2020, 03:27 AM

Good.xxxxxx
Unread 09-16-2020, 08:36 AM

The expression "fake news" is just another way of saying I'm only going to believe what I want to believe and the truth be damned. It's a mantra of the brainwashed. I've read several articles about this in respected journals. No one is jumping to conclusions. One Trump supporter tried to say it couldn't be happening because the operations are expensive and the govt. wouldn't want to pay for it. That is ridiculous. The Trump and Republican govt. doesn't want to help the citizens but are more than willing to shift taxpayer money into corporate coffers, especially shady corporations such as the ones that run for-profit prisons. Those words—for-profit prisons—are so disgusting.

Last edited by John Riley; 09-16-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Unread 09-16-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Greening View Post
I just wanted to come back to note that coerced and/or improperly informed sterilization has been a common practise for indigenous people in many health centres in Canada. I think that this practice, at least, has ceased and is considered broadly wrong now. (Lest my previous comment be read as smug and condemning from my Canadian-ness.)
California has a particularly ugly history of state-sponsored eugenics, which included decades-long campaigns of nonconsensual sterilization of tens of thousands of women in "undesirable" categories--mostly poor, Latina, and Black:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1449330/

Similar allegations about the LaSalle-run facility, if true, fit into a long pattern of institutionalized white supremacy based eugenics in the United States. It's a form of genocide. "An estimated 40% of Native American women (60,000-70,000 women) and 10% of Native American men in the United States underwent sterilization in the 1970s." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugeni...American_Women

[Edited to say: Presumably some of those women gave fully informed consent. It's the widespread absence of fully informed consent that concerns me, not the fact that sterilizations took place. I have heard multiple firsthand reports, quoted in the San Diego Union-Tribune and attributed to named people, in which immigrant detainees in ICE or ICE-contracted custody have said they were forced to sign consent forms that they could not understand--including to separate them from their minor children, whom they have now not seen for years.]

That said, I realize that the specifics of this particular complaint are mostly second-hand, and need further investigation, especially given the timing so close to a major election. But one hopes that skepticism about the motives and timing of these particular allegations will lead to investigation and evidence-seeking, rather than blanket dismissal of the accusations as mere propaganda.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 09-16-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Unread 09-17-2020, 04:35 PM

John R, agree of course with everything you wrote. But who cares what Trump supporters say? I also don't deal with flat-earthers, Qanon, climate change deniers, antivaxxers, bikers in South Dakota, or anyone who believes Jared Kushner is qualified for anything. I also believe that roughly 40% of the united states should check into a clinic. (Though being a delusional corrupt racist might qualify as a preexisting condition...)
Unread 09-18-2020, 06:40 PM

I was responding to a comment in the thread.
Unread 09-19-2020, 04:27 AM

Yeah, ignore that, John. I think I've just had it with all the nonsense (not you, but what I mentioned). And to add to all the trouble and bleakness, RBG just died...
Unread 09-19-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rainbow View Post
There is too much fake news mixed into things to have much trust in the news, especially when it is this close to an election. "Fake until proven unfake" is the safer approach to news now a days.

Yes, a perfect reason why you should never watch Fox News
never.

Regards,
Cameron
Unread 09-19-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, a perfect reason why you should never watch Fox News
Fox News is at least better than most of the liberal mainstream news that have an obvious agenda to demonize Trump as much as possible and are willing to sacrifice accuracy and objectivity to cater to that agenda.
Unread 09-19-2020, 05:08 PM

Do we really need the agenda of any news agency
to determine if Trump or anyone else has a pair of horns or not?
Unread 09-19-2020, 05:26 PM

Trump does not need any news media to demonize him. His every action demonstrates he is exactly the type of person every piece of great literature, every fairy tale, every moral tale from every religion, every look inside a loving human, teaches us not to be. One has to be depraved in a way that goes well beyond adherence to any dogma to not see that. No one with a soul needs a news station to tell them what an empty and cruel creature he is and no media is capable of convincing those incapable of seeing the truth of who he is.

Last edited by John Riley; 09-20-2020 at 08:30 AM.