Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris O'Carroll View Post
To paraphrase Thomas More in A Man for All Seasons, they're probably not recommending the comps, just pointing them out.
Did they have comps in Thomas More's day?! I thought Vicky had been around a long time...
Unread 02-16-2016, 02:33 AM

The web page specifies two different closing dates, one of which was 14th February. I wrote to them for clarification, and they confirmed that the correct date is 29th February.
Unread 02-16-2016, 04:22 PM

I can't recall when I've seen more fuss made over such a clearly amateur endeavor since the time - about three years ago - when everybody was doing handstands about the announcement of a new magazine, and I googled the founder and publisher, and discovered he was fifteen years old. I don't know about you guys, but there are far more decent and established (and form friendly, or at least form-tolerant) magazines out there than I have poems or time to cover. Why worry about something started by a non-poet which gives every sign of being non-poetical?

Last edited by Michael Cantor; 02-16-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Unread 02-17-2016, 12:51 AM

Don't forget Rimbaud was fifteen when he wrote his best poems. I rather like the cut of her jib. She is, as you rghtly say, no poet, but then that is true of many editors (the ones who don't print my stuff.

Incidentally, the Speccie printed a longish, incoherent (natch) poem by Jory Graham in the front half. O me miserum as the Romans were wont to say.
Unread 02-17-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Whitworth View Post
She is, as you rghtly say, no poet, but then that is true of many editors
Really? Which ones, beyond possibly a few poetry-and-prose contest editors? This is not a scientific survey exactly, but I took a look at where I submit my stuff, and as far as I know virtually everybody who makes the decision is a poet.

Last edited by Michael Cantor; 02-17-2016 at 01:40 AM.
Unread 02-17-2016, 02:29 AM

Peter Fobes, who edited Poetry Review very well for many years and printed reams of Whitworth was no poet and the editor of PN Review, Michael Somebody or other, doesn't write poetry either. I will fill the name in when I remember it.
Unread 02-17-2016, 02:57 AM

Peter Forbes may be a science writer rather than a poet per se, but he edited the anthology Scanning the Century which relates history to poetry in a way that makes it one of the best such books of recent years.

However, if you mean Michael Schmidt, he not only writes poetry and publishes poetry (Carcanet) but is Professor of Poetry at Glasgow and writer in residence at one of the Cambridge colleges.

Last edited by Ann Drysdale; 02-17-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Unread 02-17-2016, 04:28 AM

Peter Forbes's anthology is indeed splendid, containing as it does, two splendid poems by me. But he wrote no poems of his own. Michael Schmidt, so he does but he shouldn't. Terrible stuff, formless, preachy, like very bad prose. But he's a good editor. John Jones was the Oxford Professor of Poetry without writing any poetry except one bawdy limerick. Maurice Bowra, Christopher Ricks and A.C. Bradley were distinguished Oxford Professors of Poetry. I don't think any of them wrote an actual poem.

Patricia Oxley, who has edited Acumen splendidly since the Flood, writes no poetry, though her husband William does.

Last edited by John Whitworth; 02-17-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Unread 02-17-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cantor View Post
Why worry about something started by a non-poet which gives every sign of being non-poetical?
Michael, to answer your question succintly: a hundred quid.