Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Default First Things reaffirms that it is a hate magazine

https://www.firstthings.com/article/...bourgeois-vice
Unread 10-10-2019, 01:54 PM

Talk about over-intellectualizing a pretty simple reality for some. Bend over backwards why don't you to justify a bigoted view. Yeah, it's sad. Despite the fact that one of my favorite poems was published there (by Dana G), shunning is a natural, just response.

Added: This is a Catholic journal? The matriarch of my family was a Notre Dame nun. Whenever I visited her, and when quite young, there were always multicultural paintings on the wall of the convent. I have so many problems with the church, but not necessary to get into that here. But some idea of social justice seemed palpable then. What the fuck happened?

Last edited by James Brancheau; 10-10-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 10-10-2019, 04:23 PM

The professor’s political and economic fantasies predating his transition don’t speak well to his sanity, which does cause me to wonder about any “idea” that may fly out of his head. First Things has always advocated for condemnation over love. Nothing new there.
Unread 10-10-2019, 05:07 PM

A trash journal edited by trash people whom God is one by one slotting into the dustbin.
Unread 10-10-2019, 05:12 PM

I was assuming this would be some integralist Sohrab Ahmari phalangist-to-actual-fash screed. But yeah, a bunch of hateful bigots.
Unread 10-11-2019, 01:13 PM

From the same issue:

https://www.firstthings.com/web-excl...power-the-rich

Consider not sending your poems here or having anything to do with A M Juster.
Unread 10-11-2019, 02:37 PM

It's ridiculous. Jim M and Julie, this is precisely why it's not sufficient to have a dialogue with these people. Or bother with a Republican who seems pretty cool and so you think you can sit down and chat. They should be shamed off of the planet. The assault on the truth, particularly. Pretty fundamentally dangerous. And just plain stupid.
Unread 10-11-2019, 10:59 PM

Well, it's a magazine that advocates for 'religious values' in public life, so I suppose this isn't too surprising. That's never a phrase I hear without something of a shiver down my spine. I haven't read the second article, but the first is absolutely loopy in the way it frames its anti-trans agenda around a 20 year old memoir by some conservative economist. It's so weirdly specific, often about things that appear to have no bearing on the point.

The religiously inclined, right wing and generally bigoted have made strange bedfellows recently with some voices in the feminist movement over trans issues. Does anyone think their opinions have any legitimacy, enough not to be simply labelled as 'hate'?

https://www.troubleandstrife.org/new...re-killing-me/
Unread 10-12-2019, 08:27 AM

x
James: "It's ridiculous. Jim M and Julie, this is precisely why it's not sufficient to have a dialogue with these people."

Maybe not with "these people" (I'm not sure you can throw everyone who reads this journal into a collective persona. After all, you're reading it and I'm in dialogue with you). But dialog between those with opposing views is essential to conflict resolution. Go ahead. Spend a day in someone else's head. Something's got to change. Why not all of us?

Here's an interesting addendum to the atrocious saga of the Westboro Baptist Church. Dialogue set her free.
x
Unread 10-12-2019, 09:55 AM

To answer your last question, Mark, no.