Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-13-2020, 01:48 AM

Mario, my Eratosphere inbox is almost full but some correspondence is too precious to delete. I have kept for many years the exchange we had about a couple of poems - in Angle and Soundzine - where our lives touched for a moment. During it you gave me four adjectives and I have treasured them; now I give them back to you...

Haunting, memorable, musical, powerful.

Well done and well shared, fellow tree-toucher.
Unread 05-13-2020, 08:31 AM

x
x

Mario, I will savor this until it is completely absorbed. Then savor it some more. Thank you.
x
x
Unread 05-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Thank you so much, Cally, Ann, and Jim!! your comments mean a lot to me and have lit up my day! I can't find a way to enter hearts in the reply window, so please see these as three hearts:
Unread 05-27-2020, 08:17 PM

For a limited time only, people will be able to access an audio rebroadcast of the San Diego Master Chorale's 2016 performance of B9 (Beethoven's Ninth Symphony) with the San Diego Symphony Orchestra and conductor Edo de Waart. We were supposed to perform it last weekend with the SDSO and conductor Rafael Payare, but of course that couldn't happen. This is the best available substitute.

Click on the "Audio Broadcast" link here, and look for "KPBS Broadcast May 25."

(And hey, if anyone wants to give us money while we've got no performance income, we'll be glad to use it to pay our amazingly talented staff.)
Unread 05-28-2020, 11:32 AM

I'm watching my niece's virtual graduation from Harvard Law School right now via a family Zoom session.

Tremble, ye pharmaceutical tycoons, tremble! Miriam is armed with an anti-trust specialty and is coming for you and your price-fixing! Woohoo!

[Edited to say: Wow, that was inspiring. Great speakers. Great honorees for the student awards. And such hope!]

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 05-28-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Unread 05-28-2020, 03:24 PM

Julie, this really is thrilling news! Hearty congratulations to Miriam and the family at large. Go forth, Miriam, and bring them and their prices down!

These graduation ceremonies can be inspiring. And hope -- what a feeling.

Cally

ps I intend to listen to your choir performance over the weekend.

Actually, editing in to say the talk of performance made me realise I should mention a thrilling thing happening now involving our beloved David Mason. Yesterday, we had the ZOOM launch of the cd for The Parting, music by Tom Cippulo, libretto by David Mason, released on Naxos. The opera is about Hungarian poet Miklós Radnóti, and it has three characters -- Radnoti, his wife Fanni, and Death -- an extraordinary love triangle. It's about life, and love, and art. And it is powerful, and it has some of my favourite lines Dave has ever written.

To celebrate the launch of the cd, Music of Remembrance is streaming the one-act opera until Sunday. I think it's the Seattle performance. Put some good headphones on and watch it, listen to it. And buy the CD! HERE:

https://www.musicofremembrance.org/w...listen/parting

Thanks!

Cally

Last edited by Cally Conan-Davies; 05-28-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Unread 05-28-2020, 04:24 PM

That's so exciting, Cally! Can't wait to check it out!
Unread 05-30-2020, 01:37 PM

Julie, I tried to make a small donation, but the site wants too much information. All it needs is a PayPal link, not my autobiography.

Last edited by Tim McGrath; 05-30-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Unread 05-30-2020, 07:14 PM

Ann, you can archive PM threads or copy them to text files or word files. Although a PM keeper I’ve had to do that.
Unread 05-31-2020, 03:28 PM
Administrator

I joined in the Zoom meeting today (well, it was this evening for me, in the UK) organised by our wonderful Melissa, in which light verse was performed while we all watched and listened. It was SO much fun, seeing lots of familiar faces and some previously unknown faces!

The poems were all brilliant, and I'd like to thank the readers for providing such excellent entertainment. Well done, everyone! (It smacks of favouritism, sorry, but I have to give special thanks to Susan McLean.)

I feel happier than I've felt in about.. (how many weeks have we been in lockdown?)... nine weeks or so.

Jayne