Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Administrator

"a simple answer would have sufficed"

I gave you a simple answer, Anthony.

With respect, if you have to ask questions like "What is a modern sonnet?" and "How do you write one?" I think this is not the right site for you.

Jayne (not "miss jayne", if you don't mind.)
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:36 PM

sorry, you are still saying you cant answer a simple question, as you are a moderator, there is no point in picking a fight with you. but you are certainly a disappointment compared to the better part of what i have seen around here. i can write a sonnet, what i dont know, is if there are any special rules a contest like this might favor. still trying to figure out why, as a moderator you are so determined to be unhelpful.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Administrator

I am not determined to be unhelpful, Anthony, but I find it frustrating having to deal with someone who can't be bothered to write a coherent sentence and punctuate it properly.

There are no special rules. This is what Alex posted at the beginning of this thread:

HOW TO SUBMIT: To enter, please send one previously unpublished sonnet per person by email to: ablemusesonnets(AT)gmail(DOT)com with "Sonnet Bake-Off" as the subject and the sonnet in the body of the email, by midnight (U.S. EDT) on Wednesday, July 10, 2013.

That is all you have to do.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Some examples, Anthony, of the modern sonnet: the Nemerov winners through 2011.

And some more, from the page of A.M. Juster, three-time Nemerov winner.

And a whole lot more, in the archives of 14 by 14 magazine.

Those should help some. But Jayne has a point, which is that members who've been here some time probably do expect bakeoff entrants to have been reading contemporary formal poetry for a good while. I think I sat out the bakeoff my first two years here.

For what it's worth....
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM

Thanks, that us exactly what I was liking for. I won't bother Jayne or anyone else until I have read several and decided whether I am still tempted, if do ill be at the bake off following, if not, I'll go back over to non metered

Last edited by Anthony Watkins; 07-02-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:09 AM

Alex, as a lapsed user I can say I definitely appreciated the email. I have been neglecting a great resource for craft & discussion and I hope to rectify that.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM

Is this for formal sonnets, or will any sonnety poem in a 14-line sonnet-shape be eligible regardless of rhyme and cadence? Thank you.

Edit: Never mind -- looked over the previous winners, got my answer.

Last edited by Ben Glickler; 07-10-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Noooooooo! I just spent a good hour or so writing a whole dissertation on the subject!

Anyhoo, below are some observations from my decade or so of Sonnet Bake-Off participation:

1.) To become a Sonnet Bake-Off finalist, a sonnet has to be a good POEM first and a good SONNET second. Simply filling in the blanks of rhyme and meter is, frankly, not going to be enough to make the cut. Likewise, departing from the usual sonnet prescriptions is not going to disqualify an entry, if that variation is purposeful and effective--i.e., it clearly serves the message or sensibility of the poem. (In contrast, technical glitches and attention-drawing gimmicks for the sake of gimmickry detract from the message or sensibility of the poem.) By the way, headless lines and trochaic and anapestic substitutions are pretty standard metrical variations, so new sonneteers are advised to find out what these are, lest they embarrass themselves by calling such things mistakes when commenting on the finalists.

2.) It should be obvious that the poem inherently demanded to be expressed as a sonnet. The glass slipper should fit Cinderella perfectly and effortlessly, with no evidence that a shoehorn (or toe amputation) was required. And whether the poet follows the standard recipes for rhyme and meter and placement of the volta, or rebels against them, the audience's familiarity with the sonnet tradition must somehow inform and improve our experience of the poem. Otherwise, why bother to write a sonnet at all?

3.) No volta = no sonnet. Sorry, but it's just a fourteen-line poem if the whole thing moves in the same direction. The turn needn't shift things in the opposite direction, but it must take the poem in a new direction, either in terms of argument or technique. As I hinted in 2.) above, the poet is free to play with (or against) the audience's expectations in terms of turn placement: it need not come at the traditional Petrarchan octave-sestet break, or as a Shakespearean couplet. But at least the ghost of a volta must be in the poem somewhere, however subtly, or the poem is not a sonnet. Period.

4.) Generally, in adjudicated poetry events like this, it's a good idea to Google the judges, to get an inkling of their taste by seeing what kind of stuff they write themselves. That said, Eratosphere's Sonnet Bake-Offs are a bit different from the average poetry contest, because the focus here is more on generating good conversation than on showering accolades on a handful of poems. For that reason, some of the past judges have chosen to highlight flawed but interesting sonnets rather than to pick the ten or so sonnets that they deemed "the best of the bunch".

Given the impossible pickiness of some of the comments, being named a Bake-Off finalist is a very dubious honor sometimes. :-) But the real winners of this event are the whole community, who have fun trying to recognize Eratosphere regulars among the anonymous finalists, and who generally help each other explore the limits of what a modern sonnet can and can't do, and why.

You can look at the finalists of past Eratosphere Sonnet Bake-Offs by going to the index page for the Distinguished Guest board, then choosing to view all posts from the beginning. This lets you scroll back to find Bake-Off related threads.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 07-10-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Because I'm me.
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Thank you for your wonderful summary, Julie. ♥ Cathy
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:06 PM

Default Sonnet Bake-Off

Hi Alex!

I just got mine in under the wire!! Six minutes to spare!!

This was a good discipline. I enjoy the sonnet form and plan to write a bunch more.

The contest motivated me. Thanks!

Diana Manister