Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 07-14-2017, 06:54 PM

Well, not quite, but I'd be happy to buy you a drink if we ever find ourselves in the same bar once more.
Unread 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Good news:

The assisted living facility I work in has received a prestigious award, the exact name of which escapes me at the moment. Anyway, we are THEEEE ONLY assisted living facility in the state of Arizona to achieve this award. There's going to be a media-thingy, and we're going to be in the local news (Internet I imagine), and in the local newspapers.

I'm a grunt. I basically do everything and anything, from washing dishes to cleaning windows to vacuuming carpets to plunging toilets. I'm also a waiter and a busboy, a prep-cook, and was referred to by one happy client's family as "The Dining Room Coordinator", which sounds really snazzy! I essentially do all foodservice/beverage tasks NOT done by the chef, plus 108 (or is that 314?) other things.

It's a small facility, with a maximum of 37 residents. We are a very small team (as you'll see in the photo upcoming, some time soon), but extremely loving and committed to making the facility as much a HOME SWEET HOME, as opposed to a 'home' (if you know what I mean) as possible. And we have evidently succeeded.

I've been in foodservice/healthcare for the elderly since 1989, and it's a career I highly recommend. I've done everything conceivable in the field, from washing dishes to dietary manager, and have even done tube feeding assessments, which are tricky. When I was in my early 30's, I was taking courses, and being tutored by a registered dietician, with the intention of being a Diet Technician.

But that all fell apart, because I'm a numbnuts. (Long story.)

Nonetheless, this is good news. YAY!

I will try to post the media stuff, or link to it, as it comes.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 07-14-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Unread 07-15-2017, 01:10 PM

Great news, RogerBob. Congratulations!
Unread 07-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Yes, 10 million eyeballs is pretty astounding, Rogerbob. Congrats!

And happy 80th, Ralph!
Unread 07-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Lovely news, everyone, and congratulations to many of you for various super-duper achievements. (Too many to mention individually, sorry.)

My good news is that I've just returned from a Golden Wedding Anniversary party, at which I performed some ''close-up magic'' around the tables, which was great fun and went down well with the guests.

(I must be the most unlikely-looking magician anyone ever clapped eyes on!)

Jayne
Unread 07-15-2017, 09:14 PM

This thread is encouraging! Congrats to all -- Rogerbob, Jayne, Bill, Ralph -- and to those whose news is further back in the thread.

My own news is that the "Sonnet Crash Course" (beggining/intermediate level) that I taught this morning at the Writers' Center in Bethesda, Md., went very well and was attended by nine delightful students at various stages of writing. They all said they enjoyed it, and several said they're signing up for its sequel next week.

Whenever I teach a workshop, it demonstrates to me once again how much power there is in the musical aspects of poetry, and in the interaction of form and content. Having attended the West Chester University and other craft conferences for more than 20 years, I find it refreshing to see what happens when someone delves into rhyme and meter for the first time.

(Editing in to add: these were all adults who have been out of school for some time, and most have been writing free verse.)

Next week: "Villanelle Crash Course."

Claudia

Last edited by Claudia Gary; 07-16-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Unread 08-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Administrator

I posted a while back that my son and his family were moving back from the Isle of Man, to live near to me and the rest of the family.

The final move happened yesterday, and the beautiful 16th century country house my son has bought is only eleven miles away. It means that I will now regularly see my grandchildren, aged eleven, nine, four and two, instead of taking occasional flights to the island in the course of a year.

There must be some more good news out there. Let's hear it!

Jayne
Unread 08-23-2017, 06:47 PM

I'm a member of our county historical society, and yesterday we received a $200,000 grant! We'll use that much-needed infusion to upgrade and build an addition at the archives-building: http://www.hotsr.com/news/2017/aug/2...istorical-soc/

(The bearded fellow, with a dogwood growing from his head, is me.)
Unread 08-26-2017, 03:36 PM

After all that, something a little anti-climactic. I'm having a book of poems published by Kelsay Books. What led me there was seeing so many Sphereans who have done the same thing. I get that their philosophy is we'll print and you (being the famous and widely-read poet that you are) will dispose of many of them at readings, etc. Well, yeah, I'll do that. Was wondering if they sell many books on their own.

Meanwhile, busy editing (the 4.5 inch limit for lines is a problem), getting blurbers deciding what goes on front page. What else should I be thinking of.

Anxious for your encouragement. It's too late to discourage me.

Happy birthday, Ralph. Been there.
Unread 08-27-2017, 07:57 AM

The book will look better than any book of poems you have had published before. It will also be taller. What does your front cover look like? The best ones have pictures on drawn by the author (or in my case painted by the author's daughter). How are your painting skills?
Closed Thread