Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-31-2020, 07:31 AM

Default Journal changing its mind

A first for me. A small journal I learned about here has written to ask whether a poem it rejected is still available. (It is, and I've given it to them.)

I'm curious about how this happened. I'd like to think the poem stuck in someone's mind and they pushed for reconsideration, though I know this isn't the only possibility.

I'm also curious about whether this might be less unusual than it feels. Has anyone else here had a journal request a poem it had rejected?
Unread 01-31-2020, 08:33 AM

Congratulations, Max. All acceptances feel good, and this one has an extra something to make it memorable.

An editor once turned down a poem of mine through the usual online submission process, then heard me do the poem at a reading, asked to have another look, and published it.

If there's a link available when the journal publishes your poem, please post it here.
Unread 01-31-2020, 12:52 PM

I agree, an acceptance is a good thing no matter when or how it comes. Here's my story: A couple of years back, The Evansville Review took one poem from a batch, then emailed again some months later to ask for a second (impliedly rejected) one from the same batch.

I assumed that some other poet's poem, which they'd originally wanted to accept, had been scooped up by another journal and the poet hadn't let them know that in a timely way, so there was a space they wanted to fill. That's my theory, anyhow. And it doesn't bother me at all to have been a second choice.

In any case, congratulations!
Unread 01-31-2020, 02:08 PM

Never heard of that, Max. I think a huge compliment. We could let this go,... but. Nice going, and congrats!
Unread 02-01-2020, 10:34 AM

We've asked for a second poem for a subsequent issue a few times.

There's only so much room in each issue in print (which is already 10 pages longer than when we started.) Only ten pages of Formal poetry.

We often hold shortlisted poems for another reading cycle. If one has been selected/published, there is the assumption that the others were declined, so we'll ask if another choice is still available.

Vera
Unread 02-02-2020, 08:19 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences and practices.