Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Tastes change. Time for a laugh? Is this Business Class or business class? — My customary disclaimer about anything that follows the link.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 10-03-2020 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Caveat
Unread 10-03-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
to keep up with changes to linguistic convention
What convention is that? Increased laziness? Texting?

Please show me any school or university or grammar that teaches people not to use any capitals in titles.

Quote:
since I can both think and write circles around you
No kidding, you are good at making yourself dizzy and unable to see things clearly.

Quote:
your fusty opinions about capitalization mean nothing to me
It's not necessary for my opinions to mean anything to you. Go by reality. Do titles and headers in most spheres, especially in more educated spheres of society, not use capitals?
Unread 10-03-2020, 09:29 PM

rather than grounding my actions in arcane, arbitrary authorities, I instead ask what I wish to achieve, and how I might effectively achieve it

my motives for not capitalizing (some of) my thread titles is largely aesthetic, though I do enjoy knowing that it annoys the sadly small-minded
Unread 10-04-2020, 01:11 AM

Aaron, there's nothing small-minded about those of us who wish to preserve the established rules of English grammar, spelling and punctuation, which are all aids to expressing one's thoughts clearly, legibly and unambiguously. I'm afraid your uncapitalized and unpunctuated outpourings are simply tiresome, and put me in mind of those Americans who refuse to wear masks because it is an infringement of their "freedom", although in your case, fortunately, I think it is unlikely to prove contagious.
Unread 10-04-2020, 07:04 AM

lmao, what a reasonable and proportionate comparison. I'm convinced!
Unread 10-04-2020, 10:47 AM

Reading Allgar, I’m thinking that neither Aaron or Kevin probably thinks that this matter is the toilet they want to make a stand on, especially in a thread that won’t simply vanish at pruning time. Aaron wants to purify the language of the tribe, that being the wide Anglosphere. So does Kevin. Let’s drop this. Now.
Unread 10-04-2020, 11:22 AM

Allen, I appreciate your well-intentioned intervention. you are, of course, entirely wrong about my desires and intentions

Last edited by Aaron Novick; 10-04-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Unread 10-04-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Allgar View Post
Aaron, there's nothing small-minded about those of us who wish to preserve the established rules of English grammar, spelling and punctuation, which are all aids to expressing one's thoughts clearly, legibly and unambiguously. I'm afraid your uncapitalized and unpunctuated outpourings are simply tiresome, and put me in mind of those Americans who refuse to wear masks because it is an infringement of their "freedom", although in your case, fortunately, I think it is unlikely to prove contagious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Novick View Post
lmao, what a reasonable and proportionate comparison. I'm convinced!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Novick View Post
allen, I appreciate your well-intentioned intervention. you are, of course, entirely wrong about my desires and intentions

In my arrogant opinion [imao], in your posts I would appreciate it that when you capitalize your first person pronoun “I” you also capitalize my first name “Allen”.
Go soak your head. I withdraw my smile.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 10-04-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Unread 10-04-2020, 04:17 PM

I expostulated with Aaron about his lack of capitalization in titles because it contradicts a widely established reality, expectation, standard, practice, in writing, just as misspelling words contradicts the rules of spelling, and bad grammar contradicts good grammar.

If this were Aaron's facebook page, I could understand his negative reaction and his self-centricness . But this isn't his individual facebook page, it is a professional, writing-oriented environment, where it is natural for social standards and traditions to be expected and relevant.

Last edited by Kevin Rainbow; 10-04-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Unread 10-04-2020, 06:54 PM

Kevin, regardless of the debate over preserving capitalization, which I don’t think is facing a grave threat, I want to acknowledge you for injecting your typical level of right-wing, small-minded pettiness is a thread on a totally different topic. Charming, good man!