Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Default Rattlecast with A.E. Stallings

Here's a link to yesterday's video conversation with Timothy Green of Rattle, which I've cued to start after the throat-clearing preliminaries:
A.E. Stallings | Rattlecast #82

If you'd like to skip the poem readings and go to a discussion of attitudes toward free vs. formal verse, and of memorization as a way of becoming a better formalist in your own work, click here instead. I thought Tim had an interesting comment that "So much of the poetry world exists as pedagogy, so that what goes on in teaching ends up informing a lot of the way we're writing"--and since poor rhyming is so obvious, instructors tend to regard rhyme as a pitfall to steer students away from. Alicia's basic rhyming rules for beginners were nicely articulated, I thought.

I also liked her thoughts on approaching poetry from a place of pleasure and wonder, and that "wonder doesn't have to understand," while classroom instruction tends to be more focused on understanding.

As a subscriber who had already read Alicia's and Tim's interview in the Winter issue of Rattle, I appreciated that Tim deliberately took this conversation in a different direction from the topics covered there.

For those too new to remember, A.E. Stallings was a moderator here, years ago, so I think it's appropriate to post this here.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 03-03-2021 at 12:24 PM. Reason: can't string a sentence together on the first attempt today
Unread 03-04-2021, 03:36 PM

Julie, thanks for posting this! I hadn't been aware of it, so watched with pleasure last night. I enjoyed thinking about big and little endings . . .

Cally
Unread 03-05-2021, 03:11 AM

I also listened and learned. Do you know if she has any other tutorials online?
Unread 03-12-2021, 12:49 PM

I just watched it. Alicia is both entertaining and informative about every aspect of writing in form. I enjoy her sense of humor, but also her forthrightness about a lot of fashions in the poetry world.

Susan