Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-13-2018, 07:37 AM

Default I am thirsty in this fiery world

I am thirsty for agreement in this fiery world of angry people... Can we at least agree that Kanye West and Donald Trump are birds of a feather? I ask this not only to you, reader, but to the evangelicals who shun their beliefs to gain nothing, to the whitest, palest, manliest men who vote unthinking, to the women who have resigned themselves to living in a half-world of men -- Can we all just agree on this one thing? Kanye West and Donald Trump are birds of a feather?

NPR News
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/11/65656...he-oval-office

Kanye West is not Picasso, poem by Leonard Cohen
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/12/65703...ichael-shannon
x
Unread 10-13-2018, 10:41 AM

Default I am thirsty in this fiery world.

Oh. I think I could come to agree that Kanye West
and Donald Trump might well be birds of a feather, so what?

And since we are pulling birds out of the air,
in recent times I have also entertained the thought that the Catholic Church and the US Congress
might also be birds of a feather. So what?

The fiery world of angry people certainly includes me
but finding agreement on what we are angry about would only make me slightly less angry.

It might be true that Kanye West is not Picasso.
What burning question does that answer?

Bill
Unread 10-13-2018, 11:13 AM

Yes, they are both rich people, and hence completely unaware of and unable to sympathize with the concerns of real people.
Unread 10-13-2018, 11:56 AM

You mean like George Soros? That's an awfully simplistic comment, Aaron, for somebody who makes his home in academia.
Unread 10-13-2018, 12:24 PM

Ok now I'm really getting angry...

Bill, To be even slightly less angry is good. Finding agreement on where our anger is stemming from would be a giant leap forward, IMO.

My pipe dream (that's all it is) is that the realization that Trump compares favorably to West would be a start in coming together and finding other areas of agreement. At the very least it would be reassuring to know that the gaslighting that this administration and congress are doing to the people is not 100% effective thus far. Donald Trump and Kanye West are birds of a feather.

Congress's failings and transgressions pale in comparison to what the Catholic church has done to the human psyche, IMO. Still, I personally forgive the Catholic church. I was born and raised a Catholic with all the trimmings: parochial schools through 10th grade, the recipient of all but two of the sacraments, a brief stint as altar boy, a choir boy, lots of volunteer work for the disadvantaged, even taught catechism classes for a couple of years when my kids were young. Then there was the Sunday pilgrimages and the sermons... I have no personal vendetta against the catholic church. But I don't subscribe to their beliefs (haven't since I was 12 years old) and am incredulous that they have not responded to the scandals that plague them in a more holy way. It's ironic, but they have lost their way. Women will lead them back. But I long ago moved on.

The poem by Cohen appears to have been written in response to Kanye West's debacle on the stage of the Grammy's a few years back. He hijacked the moment and forced himself on the sensibilities of the public. He was the harbinger of things to come.
Btw, did you see/hear the video of Kanye West and Trump in the oval office a couple of days ago? It was appalling! I think Cohen's prescience in identifying him (West) as a sham phony bullshit artist a few years ago is impressive and solidifies my love of the man Cohen was.

You've really got me angry now, Bill... : )

Aaron, Money is not the biggest divide. Their riches don't make these two people unaware and unable to sympathize with those who don't have money. Besides, sympathy is weak tea. There are many rich who have done great things to help the ones who need it most. We live in the most materially affluent country in the world. Our politics are corrupt. Our capitalism is corrupt. Our consciences are being hollowed out. (Not mine or yours or Bills... )
x
Unread 10-13-2018, 01:01 PM

Default I am thirsty in this fiery world.

Is your anger more productive or more capable of damage than mine.
West's, or Trump's. I doubt it. But maybe it shows you a more genuine citizen.

From what I see of Kanye West and have read of Picasso they both were and are first class assholes.

Congress and the leaders of the Catholic church care only for their positions in their respective hierarchies
and nothing for the people they serve.
It seems to be the natural evolution of any organization after it reaches a certain size .
Thank God I refused to let my daughter be baptized into that organization

And my conscious is highly perishable like everybody else's.

Bill
Unread 10-14-2018, 06:57 AM

I'm not as angry as I am flummoxed. Everyday.

Bill: "And my conscious is highly perishable like everybody else's"

Yes, perish we will. We see it happen all our lives. We think. We can't be sure, but all the indications are that yes, we perish. Flatline. The starry blank. Think of that!

But did you see this??????????????
x
x

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 10-14-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Unread 10-14-2018, 07:03 AM

West once said, "I am a proud non-reader of books." No wonder he and Trump get along.
Unread 10-14-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cantor View Post
You mean like George Soros? That's an awfully simplistic comment, Aaron, for somebody who makes his home in academia.
Good to know that you put as little honest effort into reading my comments in GT as you do into reading my poems, Michael.
Unread 10-14-2018, 07:39 AM

My apologies Mr. Moonan;

I recently consumed a double portion of Special K (Kanye and Kavanaugh)
and I've been feeling a little sick.

I'm not good for this thread. I think it best to bow out.

Bill