Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-04-2021, 03:22 PM

Default Invitation to Carmine Street Metrics February 7

You are invited to attend this coming Sunday's Carmine Street Metrics reading, via Zoom.

Here is the link and passcode:

Rachel Hadas, Cathy Chandler, and Rory Waterman will be the featured readers.

Here is the Zoom link for the reading:

Carmine Street Metrics' Zoom Meeting
Time: Feb 7, 2021 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8657017846...81eFhlQmZOUT09

Meeting ID: 865 7017 8468
Passcode: 181345
Unread 02-07-2021, 02:26 PM

Dear Fellow Poets,

Unfortunately, the reading was hacked this afternoon.

There were nearly seventy people attending, some of whom were high school students and their English Lit. teacher who are studying my (and other American poets') work this semester.

Right as we were about to begin, the Zoom Chat started filling up with racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and totally horrible messages from the hacker who had taken over our identities.

There were many Spherians in the audience, from all over the world, and I was going to dedicate my reading to Alex Pepple who, ten years ago, published my first book, Lines of Flight, (not the contest, this was before that) from which I was going to read several poems.

What kind of world is this, where a poetry reading, which is supposed to be a space for beauty and community, becomes a cesspool?

I will definitely think twice before again agreeing to read at a Zoom reading. I am hoping and praying that Tim's launch will go well. I think it will, because we had to register, and were given individual passcodes.

Cathy
Unread 02-07-2021, 03:43 PM

It was truly, truly horrible, Catherine. I felt so bad for everyone. And even more so now I know there were students in the meeting. What a real shame.

Is it possible that posting the link so publicly here might not have been the best idea? We know that the Sphere has been vulnerable to various hackers and unwanted attention before. God knows who would want to do such a thing but that's clearly how some people get their kicks.

I'm really not blaming you at all btw! Just for future warning. I've been looking at this post for the past week and it never occurred to me until someone pointed it out to me after the meeting was ended.

Mark

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 02-07-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 02-07-2021, 05:02 PM

What happened was so stupid. I agree with Mark that the meeting code and password shouldn’t be posted here (or on Facebook). I suggested such to Wendy for future readings.
Unread 02-07-2021, 05:47 PM

So sorry for the bad experience.

I've experienced three community events that were disrupted by nearly identical antisocial behavior. The troublemakers probably just Google the phrase "Join Zoom Meeting," jump twenty or so pages into the results, and then fill up their schedules with access details for meetings to scuttle. Why? Because they can. The only solution is to make sure they can't anymore.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 02-07-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Unread 02-07-2021, 08:04 PM

Yes, I've heard of this happening before. Many places already have security measures in place for Zoom meetings. We are looking into security for Rick Mullin's ZOOM launch for Huncke, which is why I haven't posted a link.

Nemo
Unread 02-08-2021, 05:55 AM

We were told to publicize the event as we saw fit. Good luck, Nemo. Make sure people actually register with a name and valid email address, and don't let anyone in whose ID is "iPhone."
Unread 02-08-2021, 03:24 PM

ZOOM is completely compromised. What happened was that someone leaked the deets on 4chan or Reddit, or Voat - then the trolls stream in. They do it to everyone, graduations, business meetings, events. It's an unfortunate reality of the internet. I'd recommend NEVER USING ZOOM, ever. Sry the event got trolled, friends.

J
Unread 02-08-2021, 03:56 PM

It was unnerving.
Unread 02-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Hi Cathy,

I've only just caught up with this thread (I've been going through a very unpleasant experience myself recently, though not with Zoom... but 'nuff said about that.)

The answer is not "NEVER USING ZOOM, ever.'' (Sorry, Jesse.) Zoom is used successfully every day by millions ...and, more importantly, it's a lifeline to many people who live alone, are housebound, disabled... etc.

I'm really sad to hear that hackers ruined what would have been a lovely event; these individuals obviously have such meaningless, empty lives that they see the need to spoil the enjoyment of others. I pity them, while simultaneously loathing them!

We need to beat these people, by securing means to safeguard Zoom meetings, as Nemo, Walter, Mark and Julie have said. I'm sure there are ways. Don't give up on the idea of giving another reading, Cathy!

Hackers will continue to do their vile deeds no matter what... but Zoom has enabled us all to keep in touch with family and friends at a critical time in our lives, which is a good thing.

Jayne