Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Default Sisyphus

photo of a sculpture made with a burnt out log, horse bones and Missouri rock. Bones were found while working on rock wall in background.

http://sunshinedixieland.com/Sisyphus.html

Last edited by Stephen Hampton; 01-27-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: trimmed and resized photo
Unread 01-23-2015, 04:09 PM

Stephen —

The objects are deliberately posed, little doubt. Intriguing. The top white object suggests a face, the larger one below perhaps something or some being lurking expectantly. A bird maybe. I think the hose a nice touch.

I am not an artist & know little, so I won't comment on the formal aspects of the composition.

[Edited in later]: I guess I misunderstood. You posted this as a photograph of a sculpture & want critters to comment on it as such. I guess my comments, except about the hose, still apply.

— Woody

Last edited by Woody Long; 01-23-2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: tried to correct my misinterpretation
Unread 01-23-2015, 04:15 PM

That's not a photo - it's a poor snapshot of your yard, which just happens to have in it - along with a good deal of garden hose and some other mysterious tchotchkes - a possibly intriguing or possibly forgettable assemblage. But there's no way to judge it from the angled, shadowed and unclear picture. Maybe you want that shadow, for some reason - but at least get the garden hose out of there.
Unread 01-24-2015, 10:30 AM

I am going under the assumption that this thread is about the sculpture, not the photo because of the title.

Ok, well, from what I can see this looks very interesting. The face looks successful, having quite a bit of personality. The placement of the face on the burnt out log gives the figure nice movement and a wonderful posture.

I must agree with Michael about the photo. I am sensing a lack of confidence here. I feel this from both your threads. Even though random chance can be used to great effect in art, when it works it is because it was decided that it be part of that work. When things are let to fall where they may in this lazy way, it is due to a wrong beliefs about one's abilities.

If you truly believe that this is a fine sculpture, you would photograph it with more respect. You would believe that you can get a presentable shot and that the piece is worthy of a presentable shot. From what I can see, the piece is certainly worthy of the moving of a hose.

I have been through these crises of confidence myself so I know what I'm talking about.

If you are willing, I ask you to:
*Look at your sculpture several times a day and see which light works nicely. What shadows happen.
*Rig up some sort of backdrop for your shoot, maybe flip a table on it's side or hang a sheet, a screen door? whatever.
*Give us shots from a few angles and a few close ups on details.
Unread 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Thanks guys,
I trimmed and resized the photo. This is in Missouri, and I wont be back there until spring. I put this and other yard decor together for halloween. My interpretation of Sisyphus drew a lot of attention, speculations, and comments.