Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-08-2018, 05:19 PM

Default Article at Writer's Digest

I have an article on poetry up at "Writer's Digest:" http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-n...ron-poochigian

Last edited by Aaron Poochigian; 02-08-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Unread 02-09-2018, 06:05 PM

I read this article with interest. Sorry, I don't connect with anything that starts with a #, but otherwise I share your starry-eyed vision that poetry might become one of the popular pleasures. I note the success of Poetry Slams and other such events that bring energy and explosive imagination and intellect to rhymed, rhythmic, and socially relevant words.

In my new collection, I caved to popular appeal with poems about wandering in the CVS ("The Aisle Not Taken") and social media ("Antisocial Network"). I'll have fun reading these, and I hope someone will keep listening when I get serious.

Remember how Auden got an uptick of readers when his poem was movingly read in that movie "Four Weddings and a Funeral"? If makers of things can get "product placement" in movies, can we encourage "poetry placement"?

When I taught a few classes in Robert Frost at a local college, I followed up on Dana Gioia's advice: Make them memorize poems. I required a mere forty lines--one poem or several. Everyone groaned. But the result was glorious and unforgettable. The students took them to heart as they got them by heart. We all, all poets, must be prepared to declaim an apt poem out of our heads upon occasion--ours or someone else's. What a show-stopper.

Carry on, please.

Last edited by Barbara Loots; 02-09-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Unread 02-09-2018, 09:39 PM

Barbara, thank you for being interested. Your poems sound fun, and I imagine the audience loves hearing work about wandering around in CVS, for example. This piece is the most "popular" thing I have written. I have found myself suddenly in the role of impresario and am still getting used to it.

Best,

Aaron
Unread 02-10-2018, 11:03 PM

Excellent post, Aaron.

I agree completely, and you're to be lauded for working to practice what you preach.

Best,
Vera