Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-13-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell View Post
Has anyone heard 'The Magnetic Fields'? The songwriter Stephen Merrit is like a millennial Cole Porter. Their album 69 Love Songs is pretty extraordinary.
I haven't heard all of them, but some of the ones I've heard have been pretty terrific.
Unread 05-13-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell View Post
Bill - shame, I'd have enjoyed those drunken ramblings!
My femmy side really, and I mean, really opens up when I have a few shots of 100 proof. I'm older now and that's about all I can do before nodding off.

Anyway, I try and try to abide by my "never post while intoxicated" rule - since I almost always regret it, but once in a while I slip something awful. I posted an erotic poem in the Deep End about a year and a half ago that drew some embarrassing critique, because in tipsy mode I get brave, though when one has "beer muscles" one is rarely rational, or thinking objectively.

Is there an acronym for posting while intoxicated? PWI? Well, there is now.

I like the "Magnetic Fields" lyrics. Thanks. Always good to discover new things.
Unread 05-14-2017, 12:16 AM

I'll check out The Magnetic Fields. The Arctic Monkeys first album has some great Sheffield lyrics (and delivery), it's quite raw. Right now, I'm listening endlessly to Schubert, and I just wrote a poem on "Die liebe Farbe" from Die schoene Muellerin. Mein Schatz hats Gruen so gern, My love holds green so dear. It's a phenomenal song cycle. And Schumann/Heine's "Im wunderschoenen Monat Mai", In the most lovely month of May, opening the Dichterliebe, is glorious.

Or, for that matter, Ella Fitzgerald singing this:

There's no love song finer;
But how strange
The change
From major to minor,
Ev'ry time we say goodbye.

Last edited by John Isbell; 05-14-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Unread 05-14-2017, 04:47 PM

She wasn't in the best voice, and she oversings a bit, but this clip is really worth watching and listening to.

(I am a walking stereotype sometimes ... nothing to do but own it.)
Unread 05-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Isbell View Post
Right now, I'm listening endlessly to Schubert, and I just wrote a poem on "Die liebe Farbe" from Die schoene Muellerin. Mein Schatz hats Gruen so gern, My love holds green so dear. It's a phenomenal song cycle.[/i]
It is. When do we get to read the poem?
Unread 05-16-2017, 11:24 PM

Indeed, let's have the poem, John.

Schubert's songs are gorgeous. I think my favorite recorded versions are by Kathleen Battle, though there are so many.

How do you like Mahler's Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen? Mahler's my favorite composer, and I like that cycle far better than the quasi-symphonic Das Lied von der Erde, which for some reason never gets through to me, no matter how many times I try to like it, which is odd because I like symphonic music far more than any other kind of classical music.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 05-16-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Unread 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Bill, if Mahler is your favorite composer, let me interject with a plug for the Mahler documentaries created by my good friend, Jason Starr. Just Google his name with the word "Mahler" and you'll find them. No one is more passionate about Mahler than Jason, and his documentaries are quite fine.
Unread 05-17-2017, 10:01 AM

I love Mahler, and look forward to seeing your friend's Mahler documentaries, Roger. Sorry, the Schubert poems - I have a bunch - are at home just now, I'm at the creative writing workshop, but I'll post one next week - I write a lot about art, and would very much like to see what folks think. I also have some Schumann and Mahler poems, and let me put in a plug for Kathleen Ferrier singing his Kindertotenlieder. It is unearthly.
I do have a new poem up though - it was an assignment one of my classmates gave us. :-)
Unread 05-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
Bill, if Mahler is your favorite composer, let me interject with a plug for the Mahler documentaries created by my good friend, Jason Starr. Just Google his name with the word "Mahler" and you'll find them. No one is more passionate about Mahler than Jason, and his documentaries are quite fine.
Thanks Roger, I will definitely look them up. Mahler's been a passion of mine since the very first time I heard him, when I was about 19.
Unread 05-19-2017, 05:30 AM
Distinguished Guest

I love the lyrics of pretty much any Gillian Welch song, the best of the Richard Thompson songs, and (despite the obligatory derision of my peers) Verdi Cries by Natalie Merchant.