Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Old 04-16-2018, 03:25 AM
Distinguished Guest

Yes, that's good. I might try "limitless horizon"--a paradox. Hmn.

Maybe I should give up on the Latinate adjectives and go for "spic-and-span" or something:

"a spic-and-span horizon"

Last edited by Aaron Poochigian; 04-16-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:15 AM

Hi Aaron,

Just throwing my tuppence into the interesting 'horizon' discussion. When a horizon is completely unbroken and flat, as on the ocean for example, it's possible to see the curve of the earth. I wonder if:

'whose cock surveys a curved and (something) horizon'

might give a nice image along with some alliterative sonics. Bleak? Cursed?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 AM
Distinguished Guest

Thank you, Mark. I like the image of the earth-curvature at the edges of it. I tried to find some effective way of convey it and only ended up heaping adjectives on the problem. I have settled on "prison of horizon" Thus, the image is a paradox filtered through the speaker's perspective.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 AM

Hi Aaron,

I do like this, but "subsuming" is a word to avoid. And "alluvium". Despite the locale having the name of the great biologist, the diction at those two points kind of undercuts the narrator, I think.

I can't think of a poem in which "subsuming" wouldn't bother me....

RM
Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 AM

I hitchhiked across North Dakota once, and I've never seen anything flatter. But "prison" seems to me to mix metaphors a bit -- the cock surveying a prison, the prison as "ho-hum" rather than claustrophobic, which implies anxiety more than boredom.

Would "whose cock-panopticon scans the horizon" work? I remember you used "panopticon" in a poem a ways back, and to me that gets the feeling of boredom and being trapped.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 AM

The panopticon was IIRC specifically Bentham's design idea for a prison.

Cheers,
John
Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 AM

Yes, that's what I remember too John. I'm just thinking out loud in my post, as I associate the panopticon not only with prison but with the detached all-seeing eyeball, like Sauron in the Tolkien trilogy. For me it adds a creepiness to the omnipresent horizon. Also, cock as prison guard puts a different emphasis on it. "Surveys" alone is a bit bland, "prison of horizon" seems a stretch, and Aaron has been trying to get that line right, hence my thought.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Distinguished Guest

Thank you, all, for your comments. I think I had been approaching the qualifier for “horizon” in the wrong way. I have already established in the poem “the treeless plain,” so I need to do something further with the “horizon” image than just describe than setting again. I need to convey the subjective impression of that “horizon” on the speaker. That I why I think the paradoxical “prison of horizon” works best. It sounds real good and conveys the speaker’s sense of being trapped by the openness.

Andrew, I am always happy to think about the panopticon but I can’t make the word work in any formulation that is satisfying to me.

Rick, it is the “anti-poetic” nature of “alluvium” and especially “subsuming” that draws me to them. If we are to keep poetry living, we need to regard everything in the dictionary as potentially poetic, even Latinate clunkers like “subsuming.” It’s far more interesting than “featuring” and “enclosing,” I think.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:52 PM

Flatline of horizon? Pretty obvious, I know, but would convey
the N's feelings at the time with its contemporary definition. Just a suggestion amid the many. Good poem.

Johanna
Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 PM

Aaron:

I do think my poem does something Larkin's does not--it acknowledges that the boring place where I was reared defined my life.

And

If we are to keep poetry living, we need to regard everything in the dictionary as potentially poetic, even Latinate clunkers like “subsuming.” It’s far more interesting than “featuring” and “enclosing,” I think.

This is what I like so much about your persona and your poetry -- Your earned arrogance, innate audacity and the truthfulness of your thoughts and exchanges.
x

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 04-17-2018 at 02:40 AM.