Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 01-25-2017, 06:40 AM

[moved ...]

Last edited by Brian Allgar; 01-25-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Unread 01-25-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
... The funny thing is, they'll be moving to the other side of the road, four houses up, so we shall have to carry beds, sofas, tables, everything, across the street. (Maybe we'll do it under cover of darkness - but then it would look like a ''moonlight flit'' )
I saw this bunch of people late at night
Removing objects from my neighbour’s house.
I watched them by the moon’s unearthly light;
They moved in silence, quiet as a mouse.

They boldly carted sofas, tables, beds
Across the street, and took the purloined stuff
Four houses up, the place that once was Fred’s.
A burglary in course! I’d seen enough!

Trembling, I dialled 999 to say
That I was witnessing a dreadful crime.
“We’ll send a squad car round there straight away.”
It came at last, although they took their time.

They knocked, four strapping cops, all uniformed.
The door was opened by the puzzled hoods.
“Sir, we have been reliably informed
That you are in receipt of stolen goods.”

Last edited by Brian Allgar; 01-25-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Unread 01-26-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
You and Alan have both mentioned a writing hiatus, which I'm having too - and I think you may have sussed out the right reason for it, Alan!

The funny thing is, they'll be moving to the other side of the road, four houses up, so we shall have to carry beds, sofas, tables, everything, across the street. (Maybe we'll do it under cover of darkness - but then it would look like a ''moonlight flit'' )

Jayne
Not an intentional one, Jayne. A few pieces have emerged from the mire and one gained me that (high-status ) newbie mention.

Moving even a distance of 4 doors is bad enough. I recently moved 3 miles, and it was from fully furnished to unfurnished. But, overall - as befits this thread - I can say it went well, with no major problems. There are good household auctions in the area.
I hope the family move goes well, and no one drops a crate of glassware in the road at 3am.
Unread 01-26-2017, 04:54 PM

Well, my GOOD news is, I am feeling much better after a very long time in the dumps. Thank you, God, or my brain.
Unread 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM
Administrator

William,

I'm very happy indeed to hear that you're out of the dumps. And I'm also very happy that Duncan was inspired by your poem to Kristine to write a poem about me.

Brian and Alan,
On second thoughts, maybe we won't help my daughter to move house across the road during the night! Let the neighbours gawp . . .
The house they're leaving has a very steep driveway which has always made me slightly nervous, so the thought of carrying glassware . . . no, I'll stick to carting unbreakable stuff like curtains and cushions.

Jayne
Unread 01-28-2017, 10:55 AM

I'm glad you're feeling better, William. And kudos for writing about the dumps. I suffer from them, too, and it's not easy to admit. Your post helps me, too.

My good news: there was a reading this week of What You Will, ahead of the June premiere at a small local theater. I got to meet five of the eight cast members (two haven't been cast and one lives in Canada) and hear them and other excellent actors read the play.

I was nervous that a woman has been cast as the villain, a male character, but she and the others will do the play very well.

The reading's main purpose was to convince me that the play requires further cuts, but instead the director learned that it's not as long as he thought, so I won't be pressured to cut anything that I feel is working. That's good news, too.

Last edited by Max Goodman; 01-28-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Unread 01-29-2017, 11:38 AM

My good news: The beautiful black and white cat that we've been feeding for the last 5 years (we call him Quercus because he lives under an oak tree) reappeared after going missing for 4 days. We thought the alligators had him. [He is a Cat Who Walks by Himself and won't come indoors].

Also this week, Measure Vol XI issue 1 arrived, containing the Nemerov Winner & Finalists for 2015. If you don't have yours yet, it should arrive soon.

Last edited by Gail White; 01-29-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Unread 01-29-2017, 05:27 PM

(I had thought that that cat was an Eratosphere lurker in Athabaska. You never know. Maybe there's a bunch of them out there in the oats.)
Unread 01-29-2017, 08:39 PM

I have a workshop class at school. This weeks poem forum was a dead zone of zero attendance on all threads so in a odd mood I critiqued my poem myself. Finally some last minute student jumped on and said that they really liked the poem, that everyone had already said what they were thinking, and wrapped it in a bow. It was awesome. I have an MFA from Robinson Crusoe University.
Unread 03-23-2017, 04:14 PM

I've got nothing to report myself, but I'm a fan of this thread and so am excavating it to the top.

Is it really true that nobody had anything good happen all of February?
Closed Thread