Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 07-31-2016, 04:43 PM
Distinguished Guest

Met our second grand-dog this weekend. Probably a terrier/yellow lab mix.

Soul-restoringly cute.
Unread 07-31-2016, 04:52 PM

Medical news puts everything else in perspective, doesn't it? That really is wonderful news, Julie, Terese, and Ralph. And I'm glad the rest of us are finding things to celebrate, too.
Unread 07-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Administrator

I'm really heartened to read everyone's posts here. Thank you ALL for sharing your personal good news, whether big or small.

When it comes down to the 'glass half empty/glass half full' mindset I am of the latter persuasion, as anyone who's acquainted with me will know, so I believe there is always something pleasant around . . . if we look for it.

I have a little wooden sign hanging up which says "Laugh Every Day", and I do, about something, . . . anything!!

Jayne
Unread 08-01-2016, 06:47 AM

Well, Jayne, whatever his faults (and they are admittedly YUGE), one good thing about Donald Trump is that we can rely on him for a laugh a day, even if it's only nervous laughter.
Unread 08-01-2016, 06:53 AM

And here's a very small thing that made someone happy. It was Clovis's 9th birthday a few days ago, and we bought him some minced steak as a special treat. We eked it out over several days, and he was in doggy heaven compared to the stuff he usually has to eat.

But I'm sorry to say that the story has a sad ending. He's come to the end of the minced steak. We don't quite know how to break the news to him.
Unread 08-01-2016, 07:18 AM

Not a lot of good news for me this year, but I'm happy to finally be teaching a college course at the end of the month. It's "only" English 101, but given that I arrived quite late to academia, and my first long-term goal was to teach, it's a satisfying feeling.
Unread 08-01-2016, 08:06 AM

Great thought Jayne, and nice to hear so many good reports. I'm enjoying some family time in Maryland, including meeting up with Ed Shacklee yesterday. And every day I get to see goldfinches and hummingbirds on my parents' feeders.
Unread 08-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Shaun,

I know how you're feeling. I was late going into teaching too, but had a twenty-year career that I really loved.

Brian,
Ah, the lovely Clovis, bless him; the most intelligent dog I've ever met! He's so clever that I have a suggestion: why not keep some minced steak in the freezer and give him some for his dinner on the last day of every month. That way, he won't need to look at the calendar as he'll automatically know it's the 1st of a new month the following day.
It won't cost you too much - and he's well worth it.

Mary,
Let's get together again sometime when you're home again. I met the lovely Ed at West Chester - a definite cause to rejoice!

Jayne
Unread 08-01-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Allgar View Post
And here's a very small thing that made someone happy. It was Clovis's 9th birthday a few days ago, and we bought him some minced steak as a special treat. We eked it out over several days, and he was in doggy heaven compared to the stuff he usually has to eat.

But I'm sorry to say that the story has a sad ending. He's come to the end of the minced steak. We don't quite know how to break the news to him.
My wife's family dog, Barney, was so old and sick (several years ago) that he was scheduled to be "put to sleep," as the saying goes. During what we thought would be his last day on earth, my wife's father treated him to huge quantities of minced beef. Not only did he enjoy it with the greatest of gusto, but it seemed to revive his health and energy to such an extent that his euthanasia appointment was canceled. He had another good year before it had to be rescheduled, this time the meat having no effect. (He was fifteen years old, I believe).
Unread 08-03-2016, 06:36 PM

Well, Jayne, I have some Big News (as in, good), Bad News, Annoying News.... but let me just say that today I slept in, stared at the blue sky, read a book, and simply reveled in the pleasures of doing nothing. Haven't done that in a while, and it felt so good!

Charlotte
Closed Thread