Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-09-2020, 02:35 AM

Default First Things on climate change

As you might imagine, the article is Not Good, as in "taking it seriously would contribute to the demise of the human species” not good. From 2011, but they like it so much they just re-shared it on Twitter. What a bunch of ghouls.

https://www.firstthings.com/article/...eenhouse-gases

Last edited by Quincy Lehr; 01-09-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Unread 01-09-2020, 04:16 AM

Broke: being mad about Happer's murderous denialism and the extreme intellectual dishonesty he uses to argue for it (but I already called him a denialist, why do I repeat myself?)

Woke: being mad about this crime against writing:
According to my Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, to pollute is “to make or render unclean, to defile, to desecrate, to profane.”
Unread 01-09-2020, 07:07 AM

The only aspect of climate destruction these idiots will ever talk about is emissions. It involves math so right away they can awe half of their trogs with a graph and the rest will line up for the daring dissent from some in-house mining company dupe. I would like to see their article on the cremation of biodiversity and biome homogenization as sacraments. Try selling mass extinction and even that heavily sedated flock might snap to attention.
Unread 01-09-2020, 12:07 PM

In 2014, Happer said that the "demonization of carbon dioxide is just like the demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler."[22][23][24]
Unread 01-09-2020, 12:40 PM

Jesus Christ. (I had to add Jesus to post.)
Unread 01-25-2020, 07:00 PM

One can hold more than one opinion at the same time about the JASON organization that Happer has been associated with, and even more than one simultaneous opinion about DARPA that hosted JASON (DARPA began the Internet).

Happer puts the cart first and the horse second.

The important thing is to look closely at the piece of realty one is concerned with--then start theorizing. The contrary approach has led to many disasters. (A joke: Well, it works in reality, but does it work in Theory?!)

(1) Snowcaps are melting, glaciers are vanishing. These are highly visible. Whether or not Carbon Dioxide increase is driving this is secondary. There might be increased solar radiation; churning the earth's core might be bring warmer deep materials closer to the surface; there are any number of unknown unknowns.

(2a) Since visible global warning is happening, what can the nations of the world (notably the US and the UK, China, Japan,Taiwan, the Koreas, India, Russia) do to minimize the bad effects?

(2b) By reducing Carbon Dioxide release and other measures, we can lessen the bad effects to a degree, whatever the cause.

That's where Happer gets it wrong. In putting out a fire or stemming a flood, you deal with the event; soon after you can look for a cause.