Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-01-2018, 12:56 PM

This is marvelously recited, indeed. Thank you for the link, Michael. Also, to Simon for sharing the reactions of his students.
Unread 07-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Glad you're enjoying them, Erik. I've added a few more above and will show one last class the video soon...

I also want to say that I admire the larger project here, even beyond the especially strong Mason video. The adjacent Gioia and Constantine videos are similarly well-done, and I look forward to seeing more!
Unread 07-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Wow. That is a powerful reading! Mr Mason has some presence!

Simon, I also love your students reactions.
Unread 07-02-2018, 06:07 PM

Hahahaha! Hilarious, Simon!

I just played 'rock paper scissors' with "that guy", and we couldn't get a winner -- so funny!

Wonderful responses, and reminds me that one of the great experiences is teaching poetry to kids---to see their faces when a light goes on.

Great job, Simon! Dave has done a couple more -- one of 'Hang Man' (another ordinary game that he moves into another territory), and one of 'First Christmas in the Village', his poem that was BAPed this year. Will let you know when they're released.
Unread 07-06-2018, 12:21 PM

Just discovered this... Great dramatic performance. Thanks!

Simon, very predictable responses by your middle-school students. Reading them made me think, "Aha! found poetry!" : ) (Btw, there's a new art house movie just released entitled "Eighth Grade" that got great review on NPR. Sounds like it is from the perspective of inside the mind of a middle-schooler -- Yikes! Here's the link to the trailer)

I am convinced that learning for children takes place most thoroughly when it is experienced viscerally. I could imagine constructing real-life consequences/experience determined by the game Rock/Paper/Scissors that would help them to connect the dots. To pull it off though, you'd have to be as dramatic as David Mason : )

x
Unread 07-14-2018, 07:20 PM

It really is a terrific video. I'm wondering, Dink, when you say Dave has "done" a couple more, how did he do it? I've watched all the videos, and they all seem professionally shot. Like they're not selfies using a screen camera.
Unread 07-15-2018, 01:11 AM

It is terrific, Memsy, isn't it?!! I love the tiny glint in one of his eyes as he walks forward into the dark.

Ha! When I say "done", I mean he presented himself at the studio (very near Hollywood, literally, which is why I made a joke about it in the other thread title) and did what the director told him to do. It's a new company called Blank Verse Films. He was filmed speaking the poem many times, and they could cut it any way they wanted to. He had no idea what the final product would look like---all the imagery they used. We're looking forward to seeing what they've made of the other two!
Unread 07-15-2018, 04:17 AM

Beautiful -- congrats! The background music is very effective. And Dave's fierce delivery. Congrats!

Nausheen
Unread 07-15-2018, 06:39 AM
Distinguished Guest

Mary, "Blank Verse Films" is Dana Gioia's son, Mike.

J
Unread 07-15-2018, 08:14 AM

Thanks, Dinnnk and Jennn. Very interesting! I'm looking forward to the next McGravey features.